cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER IT Credit Limit DECREASE!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISCOVER IT Credit Limit DECREASE!!!

@GirlMelanie89 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Indeed, I love these forums!!

I'm sorry to hear of your CLD, I can only imagine and if it were me I would of been running in circles in shock. It's understandable from a creditors pov but that doesn't make it seem any less scary or shocking.

I've got to ask though, and it may seem like a silly question. I got my first credit card last September, and just added 2 new cards to my roster. Smiley Happy So far I keep my util down to 9% on my Cap1 and that's been it. I want to keep it there or below every report. When you say across the board do you mean 85% utilization across all of your cards? So 85% of 11k?

I wish you the best of luck and hope they raise your CL again soon. Smiley Happy

Aww thank you! And exactly! I knew I was going to pay all my CCs off but from their POV, they didnt so I guess I understand. But as you said, I was definitely shocked.  I was already having a bad day and that didnt help at all. But its my own fault. I will take responsibility for that. And no question is a silly question and yes, you are spot on...83% of $11k. Ive done it like that for years and had no issues, but I just got DISCOVER in August 2015 so they dont know my spending and paying habits. And with a BK, im sure it didnt look good from a birds eye view. And thank you so much! I hope so too! 

Just having a bad day can make everything so much more worse, ugh! Don't feel bad though, bad stuff happens and now you're aware of it for the future. Of course not all companies are like Discover.. and I guess we won't ever know since it's YMMV for every person. I will take your experience to heart though and be careful to avoid something like this myself.

That makes sense, shoot I'm afraid to even go near 25% on my one card lol.. but then I haven't had a card in many years and I don't want to spook Cap1 or my new cc's. My QS1 hits 6 months this early March, so I'm nowhere near long term relationship with them yet.

Thank you for the clarification and sharing your experience/story! I hope it all works out for you and definitely keep us posted! Smiley Very Happy

Message 51 of 75
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

Thanks.  You'll get there, too.  It just takes hard work and patience (I have the hard work down pat, patience though needs some work).  Also, just try to roll with the setbacks (I know, easier said than done)

I agree! Lol. I dont have any of it down pat. Lmbo! But you're right. I need to roll with the punches and keep it moving.

Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 52 of 75
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wish I had a husband to include his income or just ahusband period.  

Well, there is a bit of MyFICOAfterDark going on over on the demographics thread Smiley Wink

Lmbo! I need to be there then!

Message 53 of 75
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good thing I never had a CLD despite high utilization on my cards.. There was a point 4/5 of my accounts were 90% utilized and one I overcharged (Discover). Only one account had 0% and that was Fingerhut LOL. My CS dropped below to the 590's but I recovered so quickly.

Thats awesome! I wish I could have been lucky enough! Lol Fingerhut does not get any love.

Message 54 of 75
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

Just having a bad day can make everything so much more worse, ugh! Don't feel bad though, bad stuff happens and now you're aware of it for the future. Of course not all companies are like Discover.. and I guess we won't ever know since it's YMMV for every person. I will take your experience to heart though and be careful to avoid something like this myself.

That makes sense, shoot I'm afraid to even go near 25% on my one card lol.. but then I haven't had a card in many years and I don't want to spook Cap1 or my new cc's. My QS1 hits 6 months this early March, so I'm nowhere near long term relationship with them yet.

Thank you for the clarification and sharing your experience/story! I hope it all works out for you and definitely keep us posted! Smiley Very Happy

Yes it can!!! Smg. But today is a new day and I USED DISCOVER for gas this morning. Baby steps! But yes, please learn from my mistakes so you dont experience this either! Lol. Im about to be afraid to use it period!!

Message 55 of 75
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@GirlMelanie89 wrote:

Well this morning, I woke up to my DISCOVER It card limit being decreased to $500 from $1600. Smiley Sad The letter indicated that my high utilization across my cards (83%) caused them to lower it. I am devastated. My util is always high after the holidays and then I pay them down to 0% between February and March and never had an issue.

Don't rely on that.  83% is very closed to maxed.  Revovling utilization isn't just a scoring factor but a risk factor.  Keep it low or pay it down very quickly.  The thing is that the amount of time that is "safe" can vary with credit profile.  Don't just assume that your credit profile is static.

Message 56 of 75
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@GirlMelanie89 wrote:

Well this morning, I woke up to my DISCOVER It card limit being decreased to $500 from $1600. Smiley Sad The letter indicated that my high utilization across my cards (83%) caused them to lower it. I am devastated. My util is always high after the holidays and then I pay them down to 0% between February and March and never had an issue.

Don't rely on that.  83% is very closed to maxed.  Revovling utilization isn't just a scoring factor but a risk factor.  Keep it low or pay it down very quickly.  The thing is that the amount of time that is "safe" can vary with credit profile.  Don't just assume that your credit profile is static.

Understood.

Message 57 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, there is a bit of MyFICOAfterDark going on over on the demographics thread Smiley Wink

Where the heck is THAT?

Message 58 of 75
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Where the heck is THAT?

That is what I was wondering, lol. Smiley Very Happy

Message 59 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even with my dedicated laser pinpoint focus on financial activities, I'm always interested in after dark style distractions. Smiley Happy

Message 60 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.