Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DId this happen to anyone else?? FNBO/Sterling CLOSES credit card acct

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DId this happen to anyone else?? FNBO/Sterling CLOSES credit card acct

I am curious if anyone else had a credit card acct with FNBO/Sterling Bank that was closed with NO warning, whatsoever?!?! I have had a credit card with them for 13 years, in PERFECT standing, and they closed my (and others) account.

Also, I am wondering how this will effect my credit rating as it is the longest revolving acct I have/had (my others are only 7yrs old). I am sure I have no recourse with FNBO but I am appalled that they would treat a valued customer in this way.

Since I am beyond furious at this moment I will refrain from saying what I wish happens to FNBO!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rubaty
Frequent Contributor

Re: DId this happen to anyone else?? FNBO/Sterling CLOSES credit card acct

Just checked my acct and the limit is stil there. 

Were you using your card?

Current Score: EX 772 EQ 777 TU 783 15 Jan 17
Goal Score: 815 across the board by Jan 18

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES. I use my card alllll the time! And the ONLY way I found out it closed when was I went to use it again!

When speaking to a cus. rep. this evening I was told the company (FNBO) had decided to no longer handle the accounts that came over from Sterling Bank, accounts they had purchased some 5 yrs back or so. My card and account only says FNBO but somehow I am falling into that group. I am still BEYOND angry over the whole thing!

Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am curious if anyone else had a credit card acct with FNBO/Sterling Bank that was closed with NO warning, whatsoever?!?! I have had a credit card with them for 13 years, in PERFECT standing, and they closed my (and others) account.

Also, I am wondering how this will effect my credit rating as it is the longest revolving acct I have/had (my others are only 7yrs old). I am sure I have no recourse with FNBO but I am appalled that they would treat a valued customer in this way.

Since I am beyond furious at this moment I will refrain from saying what I wish happens to FNBO!

Closed CC accounts (in good standing) with balances do factor in utilization percentage calculations whereas closed CC accounts with $0 balances do not.

You will not be punished by simply closing a CC (or having it closed) as long as it is in good standing, has a $0 balance and your cumulative utilization remains at 1-9 percent. It will continue to help your AAoA and credit length history for up to 10 years after closing.

From a BK years ago to:
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that information --- appreciated!

I will hope that my score is not effected in a negative manner. The bottom line is that being a loyal consumer (I would say that 13 yrs establishes loyalty) should certainly allow for better treatment. And while I dont like living in the land of "shoulds" it is definitely hard to take that FNBO would perform in that way.

I am all ears for my next card ----- !! ----- will be going thru the forums to see where I should take my business to!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.