Did you mean: 

DOES NFCU PULL ONLY EQUIFAX?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DOES NFCU PULL ONLY EQUIFAX?

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

TU often (likely 70/30 or thereabouts EQ/TU) I don't know of any Experian pulls by them from either use reports or the online databases.

Thank you Revelate.That info helps me. Its interesting how some regions or states are covered mostly by one bureau and not so much the others.Here in central florida the go to credit bureau 85% of the time is EQ. The inquiries can really add up.

Bit of history, when the CRA's were originally set up they were actually setup along geopgrahic regional lines.  EQ = East coast, TU = Midwest, EX = West coast.

You'll still find many lenders, especially a non-trivial number of CU's which hold to this but not always.  USAA (admittedly not a CU) for example is headquartered in Texas, but pulls EQ because the majority of it's original customers were military, and the highest concentration of those were East coast.

National lenders tend to pull based on where the customer lives, or has lived in the past, rightly figuring that will be the best resolution as any smaller accounts still likely only get reported to one bureau (if at all) and statistically it's still along regional lines.

This all gets wonky though as now all the CRA's compete against each other for customers, so places like PSECU pull EX now.  Volume pricing no doubt factors as well.

Also it's further strange with any lender that pulls multiple bureaus, because if they're softing one bureau, why make the HP from that same bureau, when they can pull a different bureau likely with no change in pricing for the national lenders?  Better customer resolution, more precise lending as increased visability to the risk profile, they win.

These days having lived in CA for the past 8 years, I just assume everyone wants to see my EX report and that's where the lionshare of my current and future inquiries will land unless I specifically target EQ/TU pullers; however, both Chase and BOFA certainly will see multiple different reports by the time I'm finished, just because they can.

        
Message 11 of 23
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
Navy pulls nothing but TU for me and they pull nothing but EQ for my dad. We live in the same city

Can I ask what area of the country you live? I'm moving to North Carolina and TU is king there. My EQ needs a rest,geez! I have only one TU inquirie in the last two years.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 12 of 23
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@jsickz32 wrote:
Navy pulls nothing but TU for me and they pull nothing but EQ for my dad. We live in the same city

Can I ask what area of the country you live? I'm moving to North Carolina and TU is king there. My EQ needs a rest,geez! I have only one TU inquirie in the last two years.

im in MA. boston area.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 13 of 23
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

TU often (likely 70/30 or thereabouts EQ/TU) I don't know of any Experian pulls by them from either use reports or the online databases.

Thank you Revelate.That info helps me. Its interesting how some regions or states are covered mostly by one bureau and not so much the others.Here in central florida the go to credit bureau 85% of the time is EQ. The inquiries can really add up.

Bit of history, when the CRA's were originally set up they were actually setup along geopgrahic regional lines.  EQ = East coast, TU = Midwest, EX = West coast.

You'll still find many lenders, especially a non-trivial number of CU's which hold to this but not always.  USAA (admittedly not a CU) for example is headquartered in Texas, but pulls EQ because the majority of it's original customers were military, and the highest concentration of those were East coast.

National lenders tend to pull based on where the customer lives, or has lived in the past, rightly figuring that will be the best resolution as any smaller accounts still likely only get reported to one bureau (if at all) and statistically it's still along regional lines.

This all gets wonky though as now all the CRA's compete against each other for customers, so places like PSECU pull EX now.  Volume pricing no doubt factors as well.

Also it's further strange with any lender that pulls multiple bureaus, because if they're softing one bureau, why make the HP from that same bureau, when they can pull a different bureau likely with no change in pricing for the national lenders?  Better customer resolution, more precise lending as increased visability to the risk profile, they win.

These days having lived in CA for the past 8 years, I just assume everyone wants to see my EX report and that's where the lionshare of my current and future inquiries will land unless I specifically target EQ/TU pullers; however, both Chase and BOFA certainly will see multiple different reports by the time I'm finished, just because they can.

Very useful info and can work as a guide for any future apping.Thanks

Goal 750 Across

Message 14 of 23
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

I'm looking forward to getting membership with NFCU.They without question have some of the best financial options of any leading lending institution. I can't think of one bank that is offering 3% interest rates on CD in America. My brother inlaw is now all set up with them and will be apping for his credit card very soon. He wants me to sign up right away for membership since he feel, it was " I" that reminded him of the great services offered by nfcu that he used back in his Navy days. Not sure if my sister will like that idea too muchSmiley LOL 

I'm trying to decide if I should just get membership now and wait till march to go after a credit card when my only collection falls off.Any opinions?

Goal 750 Across

Message 15 of 23
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I'm looking forward to getting membership with NFCU.They without question have some of the best financial options of any leading lending institution. I can't think of one bank that is offering 3% interest rates on CD in America. My brother inlaw is now all set up with them and will be apping for his credit card very soon. He wants me to sign up right away for membership since he feel, it was " I" that reminded him of the great services offered by nfcu that he used back in his Navy days. Not sure if my sister will like that idea too muchSmiley LOL 

I'm trying to decide if I should just get membership now and wait till march to go after a credit card when my only collection falls off.Any opinions?

If I got approved with a discharged bk in November, a collection account will not hurt your chances....just saying.  Also, I have 5 baddies that are due to fall off in March as well.  If you remember they did approve me with a $2K limit and I requested a recon and they bumped it up to $5K.  What I'm saying is no doubt that you are a shoe in for a nice limit!

If you still want to wait until after March to join, why apply for membership now considering that you are about to take some hp's?   IMO, just do it all at the same time unless you are considering doing all of your banking with them.  

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 16 of 23
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

If I got approved with a discharged bk in November, a collection account will not hurt your chances....just saying.  Also, I have 5 baddies that are due to fall off in March as well.  If you remember they did approve me with a $2K limit and I requested a recon and they bumped it up to $5K.  What I'm saying is no doubt that you are a shoe in for a nice limit!

If you still want to wait until after March to join, why apply for membership now considering that you are about to take some hp's?   IMO, just do it all at the same time unless you are considering doing all of your banking with them.  

Some very sound advice.Its good to hear the opinion of people that have gone through the process. Nice bump up btw. When did you do that and was there another hard pull? Did they ask for anything particular for the increase?

Goal 750 Across

Message 17 of 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I joined in June and apped for the CC in October. I was waiting primarily because I was building positive history on my short and thin credit file. I finally got impatient in October, even though I had one baddie that was due to fall off in Feb. I was approved but w/a low CL $2k. I did CLI 6 mos later and just did my 2nd CLI this month.

It's kind of up to you. I don't think the CA was the main issue for them. I think it was the short/thin history. So, if you have a longer history w/only one baddie about to fall off, it probably won't make much difference.

Also, FYI, they are more lenient and generous w/people who bank with them instead of just apping for credit. (That came straight from the horse's mouth. Smiley Wink)

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 18 of 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

That is probably why you got 2 HPs. I talked to them about reconing my $2k CL and they said it could be another HP, so I opted to stay at $2k since there was no guarantee of an increase on recon. At least the 2nd HP paid off and you have a better starting CL! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 19 of 23
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

That is probably why you got 2 HPs. I talked to them about reconing my $2k CL and they said it could be another HP, so I opted to stay at $2k since there was no guarantee of an increase on recon. At least the 2nd HP paid off and you have a better starting CL! Smiley Happy

Nope that's wasn't why.  I did the app for membershp on 12/21 and all inquiries came from them on 12/21 and 12/22.  I got the official email notice on Xmas day and I sent the recon in on 12/26 and there has not been anymore hp's since 12/22.  

I was kind of ticked at first and started to ask them to remove it but then, like you said, I got a better deal and no sense in biting the hand that feeds you.  In my recon I told them that I had other cards and one of them has a 7500 limit so 2000 was just too low.  I told them some other things about me and respectfully asked them to reconsider their approval for a higher limit....please.  LOL!! You have to always say please.  So they called me later on that day and I was stoked Smiley Happy

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.