Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged card replacement question

tag
Marcos8
Established Contributor

Damaged card replacement question

The chip on my Cap1 card had stopped reading and was having chip errors. I requested a new card via the app and it arrived today. It has the same number but a different expiration date and different security code. The canned response I got from Cap one was that the old card will continue to work. How is it possible that an account with different expiration dates and different security codes now still works? Shouldn't the old card be useless now that a new expiration date and security code was issued? Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Damaged card replacement question

I think that the old card will only continue to work for a small amount of time, say 30 days, then it would be declined for the reasons you referenced.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Damaged card replacement question

I've had expired Amex numbers that were closed for fraud work just fine. Problem is some sites would insist on updating the account info once the expiration date passed.

And that cost me rewards... charges on the old card # were not earning bonus points.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.