Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Points for AMEX Preapprovals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Points for AMEX Preapprovals

Is there anyone on here with data points they remember for AMEX preapprovals? What I mean is: Who here had no AMEX preapprovals, then one day they started popping up? And how were your reports/scores looking when it triggered? The dreaded "Applying to expand your Card Membership with us is easy" message is driving me nuts lol.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Data Points for AMEX Preapprovals

Okay so I have a friend that did the pre approval with no previous relationship to Amex and he had offers, when he applied he got declined. Me who already have Amex saw somewhat of a new wording for pre approval. It says "applying to expand your card membership with us is easy" notice they added card to that now but I got approved even with that wording.

Message 2 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

How long have you had your Delta Gold? How do your reports look? Any COs or BK?

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

How long have you had your Delta Gold? How do your reports look? Any COs or BK?

Since July 2020. No BKs, but I do have some COs (all settled & paid) that have not fallen off my reports yet. I'm aware that those COs being reported aren't helping my situation.

Delta Gold paid in full every month and I passed 6 months with the card so I figured I might start making progress with the preapproval algorithm once my FICO scores break 700 and once they review my Delta Gold account.

Message 4 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

It's hard to say at this point. You're moving in the right direction score wise and showing them positive payment history. They love a pattern of PIF so that's great too. I'll bet once you make it safely over the 700 mark and establish a bit more positive pattern you'd start seeing pre-approvals pop up. Keep in mind that with COs on your report anything they approve you for will likely be with the absolute minimum SL for the card until they fall off your report. The nice thing with AMEX is that once your report clears up, those low limit cards have the potential to absolutely smash right out of low limit purgatory. My Delta started at 1k, my BCP started at 2k. They're now 10k and 25k and that all happened within a period of 18 months. 

TCL $199,800
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

It's hard to say at this point. You're moving in the right direction score wise and showing them positive payment history. They love a pattern of PIF so that's great too. I'll bet once you make it safely over the 700 mark and establish a bit more positive pattern you'd start seeing pre-approvals pop up. Keep in mind that with COs on your report anything they approve you for will likely be with the absolute minimum SL for the card until they fall off your report. The nice thing with AMEX is that once your report clears up, those low limit cards have the potential to absolutely smash right out of low limit purgatory. My Delta started at 1k, my BCP started at 2k. They're now 10k and 25k and that all happened within a period of 18 months. 

Thanks for your insight. Brings a lot more clarity to the situation. I will keep working to improve my credit profile.

P.S.: 1k & 2k to 10k and 25k within 18 months is absolutely insane!

Message 6 of 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

Thanks for your insight. Brings a lot more clarity to the situation. I will keep working to improve my credit profile.

They denied my first CLI even. I was approved for my Delta with a CO on my reports. As soon as the CO fell off, they opened the floodgates and have just grown like I cannot even believe. You'll get there, patience is even harder when it comes to credit!

TCL $199,800
Message 7 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

As long as the charge offs remain, you're unlikely to have much luck with Amex.  Even with a preapproval, if you are approved for another product it will almost certainly be a training wheels limit until those come off.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

They denied my first CLI even. I was approved for my Delta with a CO on my reports. As soon as the CO fell off, they opened the floodgates and have just grown like I cannot even believe. You'll get there, patience is even harder when it comes to credit!

Exactly what I'm hoping for. As of today I am 100% clean on EQ and TU and just waiting for that final derog to drop off EX any day now. I'm tired of these dinky $1k limits on my Amex revolvers. I'm already in the window to request a CLI so I'm just waiting for EX to clear and reflect on my Amex account...

Message 9 of 12
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

March 2011 - Filed BK7

Sept 2012 - CapOne secured MC.  Didn't even think of other credit cards for a few years.  Around 2014 or so I started checking Amex prequal regularly with nothing showing up.  I stopped checking in the summer of 2016 after hearing that Amex didn't like BK on reports.

Fast forward to June 2018 and I was approved for an auto loan with scores between 665 - 680.  It was at this time that I started checking Amex again and saw a couple pre-approvals.  After lurking on myFICO I for a few months, I checked the prequal in Decemeber 2018 and saw Amex ED as an offer so I applied.  $5k approval with 680 score on EX.

As per advice I read on myFICO, I waited to have 6 months of car payments before I applied.  I think I tried 181 days after getting the car loan.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.