Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead end credit cards vs Keep forever credit cards

tag
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Dead end credit cards vs Keep forever credit cards

@shalane85 wrote:
I had no idea Capitol One had the kind of reputation. I didnt even realize that 17% was a high interest rate. I thought I was doing good. Never to old to learn something new.

Yeah, they don't have the best rep. There was a time they seriously screwed people by not reporting their limit which meant that ANY usage looked like 100% and that hurt people's scores like crazy. They were forced to change that practice and they did but still. Yeah 17 is high, hell 12 is high but in today's market alot of companies are burning us with higher interest but most of my cards are still 9.99 which is reasonable. We are never too old to learn, I learn something new every day.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 31 of 50
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

You know if you apply on their website they list the max cl for each card you are apping for. For both my cards the ceiling is 3k.
Message 32 of 50
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Cap One does have some good cards, and we'll probably hear from some of the members who have them, if they haven't gotten tired of speaking up for C1, lol.

The confusing thing about Cap One to me is that they extend credit to a wide range of applicants, and it's hard to tell if you got stuck with a dud card until you hit the invisible ceiling.

But unless they've changed recently (wouldn't be surprised if they had), they're good for international travelers.

Ditto, one of their bad is the unpredictability of their actions or logic. You don't want to be at a mercy of such arbitary moods, much like the current HSBC situation.

Message 33 of 50
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

shalane85 wrote:
You know if you apply on their website they list the max cl for each card you are apping for. For both my cards the ceiling is 3k.

Thanks, that's useful to know!

Do they tell you upfront, or do they wait until 8 screens later or something?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 34 of 50
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@shalane85 wrote:

Thanks, that's useful to know!

Do they tell you upfront, or do they wait until 8 screens later or something?

My friend, you are too funny. Love the sarcastic jab there Smiley Very Happy

ADD: to capital one I meant not the poster. Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by Guardian on 03-05-2009 04:05 PM

Message 35 of 50
arlo82

ThAt was a good oneSmiley Very Happy They tell you upfront.
Message 36 of 50
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@arlo82 wrote:
ThAt was a good oneSmiley Very Happy They tell you upfront.

Thank you for that. It is unusual because Crapital One is not exactly a truth and disclosure kind of creditor, its interesting to see them doing it. Good to know, thanks again.

Message 37 of 50
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Cap One does have some good cards, and we'll probably hear from some of the members who have them, if they haven't gotten tired of speaking up for C1, lol.

You rang?  LOL!

I opened a Cap1 acct in Jan 08 w/ a 3k limit (wow at the time).  I figured I had the card that ranged from 300-3k, so therefore I'd hit the ceiling on day one.  Not so.  I went from 3k to 3750 to 4250 and again to 5250.  I asked the CSR about my ceiling and was told hit would be awhile before I hit it.  Who knows where it is, but I got the feeling I'm not really close.

This is a boring no rewards Plat MC w/ a nice IR for someone w/ my scores (640s to 680s).  Good BT offers most of the time as well.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 38 of 50
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

You rang?  LOL!

I opened a Cap1 acct in Jan 08 w/ a 3k limit (wow at the time).  I figured I had the card that ranged from 300-3k, so therefore I'd hit the ceiling on day one.  Not so.  I went from 3k to 3750 to 4250 and again to 5250.  I asked the CSR about my ceiling and was told hit would be awhile before I hit it.  Who knows where it is, but I got the feeling I'm not really close.

This is a boring no rewards Plat MC w/ a nice IR for someone w/ my scores (640s to 680s).  Good BT offers most of the time as well.

Thank you, knew we could count on you Smiley Wink

Message 39 of 50
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

What kind of rewards can you get with prime cards? I know about cash back and apr, but exactly how does that work? Someone made the comment that you can make money off of your cards. How is that possible?
Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.