Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Amex Blue: Please Redesign Your Card

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

Dear Amex Blue: Please Redesign Your Card

Please design a card where you can sign the back of the card so you do not have to show ID. I realize it's for my own protection, but swiping it just isn't enough using at certain merchants. After they ask to see the card and notice no signature, I have to show ID. The space is too small and none of my pens will work, Anyone else experienced this?
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: Dear Amex Blue: Redesign your card

I hear ya on that.  You can't use a ballpoint pen on any Blue cards. I've had Blue Sky Preferred and I now have Blue Cash Everyday and I had to use a permanent marker.  It's the only card of theirs I can't use a pen on. Strange!

Plus the blue hologram is peeling and I've only had it for a couple of months from a PC.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 22
Scamp
Valued Contributor

The Blue I got in '08 has a signable strip on the back.

The card number is printed across the top part of it, so the signing area's rather narrow top-to-bottom, but I signed mine in ballpoint pen on the back - no problem.

ETA:  On mine, the signature area is translucent and therefore tough to see, but it IS there.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Per AmEx's agreement with merchants, they don't need to see a signature. Real world, try convincing the kid at the register of this.

Try a fine-point Sharpie.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 22
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

+1 - Hauling. That little pen will work very well. That is what my Wife uses on her BC.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Real world in California (at least, from my experiences in SoCal) and in Las Vegas ...  no ID to go with the card, no sale.

The first couple of times I was asked to show ID with my card (signed), I made the guy behind the counter show me his ID, first. 

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 22
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

as annoying or inconvient as that is, it is nice to know a thief will be prevented from causing you any larger inconvience. However, it can be kind of unnerving, because there could be a customer or cashier that has a camera phone or a photographic memory and good vision (highly unlikely however) and memorize your address, name, and all of info on your credit card and DL. if it wasn't for that, i would prefer this to happen every time i went to swipe. after all the server doesn't ask for your id, why should a cashier? and i am sure u borrow is being fescious.

i occasionally cashier, and whenever i have to look at a DL, I will try to conseal it with my hands if i feel there is someone in line that wants to get a hot look at it.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Actually, scottwagnon, I'm not being facetious at all. 

I almost threw the first guy through his own front window, because I thought he was being a wise a**.   He wasn't.   And I got his ID, first.

The fraud out in SoCal is astounding, and regardless of CCC rules, merchants want ID with CC purchases out there.  Also in Vegas.

In CT, where I live, the "window option" is still available!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 22
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

When I was at Burberry this past weekend they wouldn't take my Zync due to it not being I signed. I said per AMEX's agreement it doesn't have to be signed, but with Burberry's policy they do not take credit cards without signatures. What's funny is that I signed it and she didn't even ask to see my ID.

• Me: "Gee, I could have just found that card you didn't even check my ID."
  • Girl: "We aren't required to check IDs."
  • Me:  "But you require people to sign a card before using it? How does that make sense? You do not check the ID to see if it is the actual cardholder?
  • Girl: *rolls eyes* "Have a nice day, sir."

I should return it so she loses the commission and re-buy it with another agent for giving me such attitude...Smiley Very Happy But I won't...because everyone needs money.

Edit: Formatted for ease of reading.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

While we're at it, I'd like them to fix the black paint on the numbers and letters on the front of my gold card-- it rubs off within a few weeks.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.