Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death of Sallie Mae

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Death of Sallie Mae

Didn't see other posts, maybe I missed it.

Dear XX

Look what's new.  On Mar 1 2017, your Sallie Mae Rewards Mastercard will be replaced with the new Commence Mastercard by Sallie Mae with great new benefits and feaures.

The great features are 2% on groceries and utilities, and 1% on everthing else.     I can hardly wait!

ETA:  One new feature, apply cashback to student loan and get a 25% bonus.    So if you can do that, it's 2.5% on groceries with no cap.

Message 1 of 376
375 REPLIES 375
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Death of Sallie Mae

Sadness
Looks like I will need to find a new card for groceries as I no longer have a sallie mae student loan and 2% on groceries is meh.
Message 2 of 376
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Snail mail or email?  I didn't get it in email, don't see it in the account interface.

Guess all good things come to an end, not entirely unexpected (hence the Costco backup card in my case six months ago for gas, need to sort out Amazon I guess next).

        
Message 3 of 376
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Snail mail or email?  I didn't get it in email, don't see it in the account interface.

Guess all good things come to an end, not entirely unexpected (hence the Costco backup card in my case six months ago for gas, need to sort out Amazon I guess next).

Snail Mail letter dated 12/12/16

Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 376
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Snail mail today (for all three accounts at this address)

My only surprise is that they didn't just keep the structure the same and reduce it to say 2% on those.  I was using it only for gas and "books", so even if 2% was attractive, this card wouldn't work for me.

Message 5 of 376
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Just got it in the mail...it was good while it lasted.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 376
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Snail mail today (for all three accounts at this address)

My only surprise is that they didn't just keep the structure the same and reduce it to say 2% on those.  I was using it only for gas and "books", so even if 2% was attractive, this card wouldn't work for me.

I think if they'd planned to go down that route they would've just done it back when they stopped the applications.

This strikes me as a rather calculated move to get people to just dump it or use it for known financial winners for the bank.

Sadly there's nothing else that looks appealing in the Barclays lineup, can't even find mention of this conversion card when I went briefly looking at both Sallie Mae and Barclays websites.

Really between Sallie and a restaurant card and some default spender I would've been fine with my typical spending patterns... always sorta viewed Sallie as the little card that could.  Oh well, probably my first truly SD'd card.

        
Message 7 of 376
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Knew it was going to happen eventually. Barclay cards are all pretty mediocre so it's no shock the new Sallie will be also mediocre.
Message 8 of 376
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Knew it was going to happen eventually. Barclay cards are all pretty mediocre so it's no shock the new Sallie will be also mediocre.

Yes, we all knew it would happen once the card cancelled.  But I believe you specifically predicted that they would remove Amazon as a book category, and the damage was worse than that!

Message 9 of 376
kdm31091
Super Contributor

With the new card doing grocery and utilities I'm surprised they don't just do a force PC to a Barclay rewards instead of making a new product.

The amazon thing, we all knew would end eventually. But there's still several 5 percent Amazon options so it's not the end of the world.
Message 10 of 376
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.