Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit card rewards

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Debit card rewards

The rewards debit card I am thinking of getting is the suntrust delta skymiles debit.  The reasoning is I can open a bluebird account load the account with my debit card at walmart get 1 mile per dollar pay for mortgage, auto.  Also get the delta gold for the sign up bonus and I already have the prg with 50k bonus.  This way you don't have to worry about those vanilla reloads getting you in trouble with your ccc because the PRG partners with delta I would earn like 100k points a year.  This is of course if you get skymiles by loading your bluebird account with your debit card I read that it does though.

Message 11 of 16
wl123
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wl123 wrote:

BOA sort of. If you have both checking and savings with them they will round up debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and deposit the difference in your savings. Not bad for small purchases.

Don't count that as rewards, not even sort of!  It's your money from checking going into savings.

That's a good point. I've never used Keep the Change but assumed you make money off it. For example, buy a cup of coffee for $2.10, get charged $2.10, and get $0.90 deposited into your savings.

Edit: Looking through the terms, it appears the amount is rounded up and transferred. Thanks for pointing that out!

Message 12 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

A couple years ago when I banked with BB&T their debit card offered rewards similiar to CC rewards.  You got so many points based on what you spent on the card and you could redeem it for gift cards. 

They still have it but everything has to be purchased online 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 16
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@wl123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wl123 wrote:

BOA sort of. If you have both checking and savings with them they will round up debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and deposit the difference in your savings. Not bad for small purchases.

Don't count that as rewards, not even sort of!  It's your money from checking going into savings.

That's a good point. I've never used Keep the Change but assumed you make money off it. For example, buy a cup of coffee for $2.10, get charged $2.10, and get $0.90 deposited into your savings.

Edit: Looking through the terms, it appears the amount is rounded up and transferred. Thanks for pointing that out!

Back then (must have been over 10 years ago), they had a Keep the Change Double up Promo. i.e. buy a cup of coffee for $2.10, get charged $2.10, and get $0.90 x 2 deposited to your savings! They only took $2.10 + $0.90 out of your checking account, but added a total of $1.80 to your savings account!

As you can imagine a lot of people took advantage of this promo so it ended shortly. But it was fun while it lasted. I remember always getting gas for whatever amount and $0.01 (i.e if the pump stopped at $40.56, I pumped it up to $41.01, bought items at the grocery stores one item at a time, etc...)

Message 14 of 16
dta
New Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

Back then (must have been over 10 years ago), they had a Keep the Change Double up Promo. i.e. buy a cup of coffee for $2.10, get charged $2.10, and get $0.90 x 2 deposited to your savings! They only took $2.10 + $0.90 out of your checking account, but added a total of $1.80 to your savings account!

As you can imagine a lot of people took advantage of this promo so it ended shortly. But it was fun while it lasted. I remember always getting gas for whatever amount and $0.01 (i.e if the pump stopped at $40.56, I pumped it up to $41.01, bought items at the grocery stores one item at a time, etc...)

They still do 100% matching for Keep the Change for the first three months. I ended my Keep the Change enrollment when I started actually budgeting. Became a real pain to track tiny daily transfers and huge transaction histories.

Regarding debit card rewards, BofA does have something similar to what OP mentioned, BankAmerideals. They're a little weird and often short-term, but I just took a look this week and found three 10% offs for places I was going to go anyway. You have to "activate" them before purchasing to get the credit but you can do this on mobile. Works with their debit and credit cards.

Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 15 of 16
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@dta wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

They still do 100% matching for Keep the Change for the first three months. I ended my Keep the Change enrollment when I started actually budgeting. Became a real pain to track tiny daily transfers and huge transaction histories.

Regarding debit card rewards, BofA does have something similar to what OP mentioned, BankAmerideals. They're a little weird and often short-term, but I just took a look this week and found three 10% offs for places I was going to go anyway. You have to "activate" them before purchasing to get the credit but you can do this on mobile. Works with their debit and credit cards.

That's right, forgot about that! thanks.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.