Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decided to close my Citi secured card before graduation

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Decided to close my Citi secured card before graduation

Im in one of my moods where Im over the credit game. This mood usually comes after hitting a credit wall, and facing some serious garden time.   After some thought, I decided to close my Citi secured card. I dont need it, and I only got it to get a regular card with Citi, which  I dont even care now If do or not. 

I have 14 other non-secured major cards with over $200k in credit....The way I see it, after some extensive gardening, Citi will either approve me for the card I want (Costco), or they wont.  If not, then I move on to lenders that will.  So I called the EO today, and told them to close the card after 10 months. The guy was kind of a **bleep** to me, which justified my call even more. 

Im not the most patient person, and Im trying to work on that,  but I feel that I could get the cards I  really want with just some patience and gardening, and continue to show loyality to my current lenders whom have bent over backwards for me considering my overall credit profile....Navy, Penfed, Chase, Discover, Barclays, BOFA,  etc....

I have no doubt that my secured card would have graduated in December to the Diamond Preferred, then I would have pc'ed it to the DC,  where that card would probaly sit with a $500cl for the next 7 years.  It was a judgement call, and Im not upset about it. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Decided to close my Citi secured card before graduation

Good riddance! I hate Citi as much as I hate BoA.

But since we have the Costco card, I have to deal with them...  Thre line on that card is $17,600. I'm most sure it will stay there forever!  Smiley Mad

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel sort of the same way. We are BK buddies (same year and I believe month D/C) and I'm sort of blah.. over the credit game. Citi won't touch me and neither will chase. My scores are in the 700's across the board. I have a ton of inquiries though which being denied for that sole reason is super frustrating. Like, I have had perfect payment history for the past 4 years and 1% utilization yet you want to dwell because I inquired. Like you, if I were patient I could I'm sure get a couple goal cards but patience isn't my strong suit. I'm also trying to work on it but I'm also in a place where credit doesn't matter to me as much. A lot of my applying comes from being curious and hoping I can get my foot in with certain lenders. I just bought a house and now there's really nothing I NEED my credit for. So I'm in a place where it's not a high priority. A big part of my issue is somewhere I feel like I should be able to get cards that people without bankruptcies have because of my scores. I get that isn't the case but sometimes it's hard to get over that butt hurt lol...
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't even care at this point if my Discover unsecures. I used to hyper focus on it but now I don't care. And I may just cancel it to get a nice check in the mail.
Message 4 of 12
happypill
Valued Contributor

I think Citi will give you fair consideration when the time comes.  If you didn't want the low limit DP or DC eventually, it was probably a good idea to close this account up.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:

Im in one of my moods where Im over the credit game. This mood usually comes after hitting a credit wall, and facing some serious garden time.   After some thought, I decided to close my Citi secured card. I dont need it, and I only got it to get a regular card with Citi, which  I dont even care now If do or not. 

I have 14 other non-secured major cards with over $200k in credit....The way I see it, after some extensive gardening, Citi will either approve me for the card I want (Costco), or they wont.  If not, then I move on to lenders that will.  So I called the EO today, and told them to close the card after 10 months. The guy was kind of a **bleep** to me, which justified my call even more. 

Im not the most patient person, and Im trying to work on that,  but I feel that I could get the cards I  really want with just some patience and gardening, and continue to show loyality to my current lenders whom have bent over backwards for me considering my overall credit profile....Navy, Penfed, Chase, Discover, Barclays, BOFA,  etc....

I have no doubt that my secured card would have graduated in December to the Diamond Preferred, then I would have pc'ed it to the DC,  where that card would probaly sit with a $500cl for the next 7 years.  It was a judgement call, and Im not upset about it. 

I am not sure if you have ever watched the cartoon, South Park. But there is a side character that owns all of these businesses in South Park. They are all called City something or other. For instance City Wok. When this character says the name of his businesses, it sounds like he is saying Sh*ty instead of City. That pretty much sums up what I think of Citibank (Sh*tibank) LOL. 

Yes, I have three Citibank cards (one was a different bank before); I used to think the world of them....18 years ago. They really do nothing for me and are my least favourite bank. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi gave me the Costco card about 25 months post discharge.  I got in right after they started taking apps.  I'm convinced that's why I got in, as they were looking to snag a lot of business.  I have used the card a ton over the last 11 months and have paid it off with large payments quite a few times.  However, they won't give me a CLI due to the BK on my report nor will they give me the Hilton card due to my BK.  I travel a decent amount for work and had planned on the Citi AA and Hilton to rack up some points, but opted instead for Marriott(Chase) and Aviator Silver.  The only card really on my wish list now is the BOA Alaska Air, but I burned them and won't be able to get back in for awhile.  The Citi Costco card suits my needs quite well, but with NFCU offering double rewards for the year I'm actually using my NFCU card more at Costco now anyway.

Message 7 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry to hear Pizza, but we got your back and support your decision. I look at it like this... if you get the Citi Costco card great, if not , im sure any specific reason you may have wanted it can be found somewhere among the many other cards you have. Rewards are great for those who chase but at the end of the day , a visa is a visa so long as as it goes through. You still gotta pay the charge so live it up, enjoy a beautiful stroll in Citi So Pa , maybe make a stop a Kennys and finish the night with an amazing meal at a Citi WokSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

You've obviously done very well building your credit profile Pizza. You have some major banking players that obviously recognize that, and if Citi decides to sit on the sidelines, it is their loss. I haven't tried to go after a Citi card as I went chargeoff on them (for a whopping $1700) when I was 21 and stupid. I've doubled my age and in all honesty, there isn't really anything in their portfolio that grabs my attention nowadays. The Costco card benefits are nice, but it may as well have a $55 AF stuck to it as you'll be glued to your membership to cash in your rewards.

Just keep giving all those nice, juicy swipe fees to the lenders that appreciate you. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for the support. I gave it some thought, and at the time I thought it was a great idea, to be able to eventually have a card with citi.

None of their cards are that great, and there's only one card id like to have from them currently and thats the Costco Visa. I personally think they have tightened up on approvals, so Im gonna need a 9mo-a year in the garden before I could apply again.

Ive got plenty of other cards to use there who love the swipes, so I don't need it, just want it. Eventually with a little patience and some gardening my chances will be very good. Just need to stick to it Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.