Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decided to join PenFed.

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

Re: Decided to join PenFed.

Yes. I joined them 2 months ago. I tried to get a cc from them and was approved online only to see a turned down status a few hours later because of one negative mark on my credit report from 6.5 years ago. I sent two years of tax returns, copies of brokerage accts, still "turned down." They don't have their acct together. I had to order checks 2 different times because they lost the PAPER order form. It took 5 weeks to get my checks. Then I'm told they don't have a signature card on file despite it being at the bottom of the check order forms. Still have a warning in my acct that they've still not received my signature card... I give up with those people. Very unorganized.
$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 11 of 17
dodgeball
Established Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Ninety days.

thanks will not try till until after 2 full months.

Whats the diffrence if you apply now or in two months they are still going to go off the same pull? Does not make sense really

Im actually going to wait at least 6 months or wait till my chargeoffs fall off next year so i can have a clean report....LOL. Dont want anymore new accounts.

Well since you already have a hardpull, I would app anyway, even if you are denied you will see where you are on there scoring model which is quite diffrent than MyFicos

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 12 of 17
dodgeball
Established Contributor

@RSCo wrote:
Yes. I joined them 2 months ago. I tried to get a cc from them and was approved online only to see a turned down status a few hours later because of one negative mark on my credit report from 6.5 years ago. I sent two years of tax returns, copies of brokerage accts, still "turned down." They don't have their acct together. I had to order checks 2 different times because they lost the PAPER order form. It took 5 weeks to get my checks. Then I'm told they don't have a signature card on file despite it being at the bottom of the check order forms. Still have a warning in my acct that they've still not received my signature card... I give up with those people. Very unorganized.

I agree with you overall Penfed is not a user freindly credit union. They have great products if you qulify but there qualifications are for perfect credit only and there customer service has something left to be desired.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 13 of 17
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Ninety days.

Whats the diffrence if you apply now or in two months they are still going to go off the same pull? Does not make sense really

Im actually going to wait at least 6 months or wait till my chargeoffs fall off next year so i can have a clean report....LOL. Dont want anymore new accounts.

Well since you already have a hardpull, I would app anyway, even if you are denied you will see where you are on there scoring model which is quite diffrent than MyFicos

you do have a point dodge, but if i do get approved i dont want anymore credit cards...lol. I got approved for a BofA , 2 AMEX (backdated to 2011). Citi, and now WF, all in a period of a month. Afraid of AMEX doing a FR. They already saw my new BofA card reporting on my EX report but havent seen Citi or WF. Plus i ended up having a total of 2 inq on TU, 4 EX and 3 EQ now so no more new accounts and definitely no more INQUIRIES!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 14 of 17
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Ninety days.

you do have a point dodge, but if i do get approved i dont want anymore credit cards...lol. I got approved for a BofA , 2 AMEX (backdated to 2011). Citi, and now WF, all in a period of a month. Afraid of AMEX doing a FR. They already saw my new BofA card reporting on my EX report but havent seen Citi or WF. Plus i ended up having a total of 2 inq on TU, 4 EX and 3 EQ now so no more new accounts and definitely no more INQUIRIES!

I have to correct something DodgerSLV.  I confused you with DodgeBALL.  Hence the kidding about getting a 15k 5% Cash Back on gas PenFed Platinum within 72 days...  (due to DB's well....  "balls" with NFCU LOL).

Seriously though.  Watch for a gold box on your account page with a pre-approval offer stated.  Then you might want to consider going on the same pull they used for membership.   Sometimes they are fairly generous.  And it's likely  (unless things have changed there a LOT) that it won't take another HP if you go for it within 90 days. Just a heads  up.   Actually, you might want to ask PenFed, but IIRC, even if you were to apply for 2 CCs and a Car loan, they'd still use the same pull within 90 days.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

grats on your WF app as well btw!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 17
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@dodgeball wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Ninety days.

I have to correct something DodgerSLV.  I confused you with DodgeBALL.  Hence the kidding about getting a 15k 5% Cash Back on gas PenFed Platinum within 72 days...  (due to DB's well....  "balls" with NFCU LOL).

Seriously though.  Watch for a gold box on your account page with a pre-approval offer stated.  Then you might want to consider going on the same pull they used for membership.   Sometimes they are fairly generous.  And it's likely  (unless things have changed there a LOT) that it won't take another HP if you go for it within 90 days. Just a heads  up.   Actually, you might want to ask PenFed, but IIRC, even if you were to apply for 2 CCs and a Car loan, they'd still use the same pull within 90 days.

no problem Ry..I wanted to join a good CU (the ones here in Vegas are not really attractive at all). I would have loved with USAA, NFCU, and other great ones i have heard about but would not be able to get membership with none of them since i dont have family who were or are in the service at the moment. The easiest one was PenFed. I know they are very conservative lenders so will probably just wait till my baddies fall off next year. I took the HP now for membership that way i can be ready for next year, of course unless they send me a preapproval offer but like one of the posters said here, he was approved online but then ended up declining his app cuz of 6.5 year old baddie. I have no problem waiting till i have a clean report on EQ.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.