Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding Cap1 Venture vs Amex Everyday

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Deciding Cap1 Venture vs Amex Everyday

@Credit_hawk wrote:

I'll admit I'm a novice for using travel rewards but I'm booking a European vacation now and it's far cheaper for me to book via Trafalgar or Expedia and just cash out my Venture or UR points then it is for me to use either one through their portal.

Do ytou have a UR transfer card (CSP or Ink)?   Those that promote URs are not talking about using the UR portal to redeem, instead transferring the points to a partner (airline or hotel or both) and using them for award travel.   That is where you CAN get high redemption value.   

Message 21 of 25
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Credit_hawk wrote:

I'll admit I'm a novice for using travel rewards but I'm booking a European vacation now and it's far cheaper for me to book via Trafalgar or Expedia and just cash out my Venture or UR points then it is for me to use either one through their portal.

Do ytou have a UR transfer card (CSP or Ink)?   Those that promote URs are not talking about using the UR portal to redeem, instead transferring the points to a partner (airline or hotel or both) and using them for award travel.   That is where you CAN get high redemption value.   

Oh ok. Yeah, I have a CSP and Freedom. I was wondering because using their portal was a rip off. Say if you're going to go on a vacation to Germany, do you think you could get a better deal using Expedia or similar group for the package flight and hotel/car or booking individually using the UR? I'll have to check out the flight and hotel sites. 

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Speaking only to my own experience, I thought about the fact that the Amex EveryDay has a foreign transaction fee, and how that would effect me when I am traveling in a foregin country. If you plan on doing a lot of international travel, and you don't have a 'no foreign transaction fee' checking account or credit card, the Amex EveryDay may not be of much use to you (unless you are willing to eat the 2.7% foreign transaction fee each time you swipe/dip when abroad). However, if you are only going to be traveling internationally for 1, maybe 2, weeks out of any given year, you might as well take advantage of the 50 to 51 weeks of spending when at home and get the Amex EveryDay and the accompanying access to the Membership Rewards program.

To be clear, in my experience, this decision was easier for me to make as I have a checking account that has no fee for foreign transactions and reiburses me for all atm fees (shamelss plug for Charles Schwab Bank!), so I don't have to worry about eating any fee when traveling internationally. All I would have to do is forgo my points when abroad by using my debit card and/or cash rather than my Amex.

You are the only one who can make the choice as you will be the cardholder, but I thought I'd give you the little bit of information above. I may prefer Amex, but I have friends and family who really like Capital One, and speak highly of Capital One.

It is quite greedy and stupid on American Express's part to have a foreign transaction fee when acceptance is very spotty in other countries. 

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Speaking only to my own experience, I thought about the fact that the Amex EveryDay has a foreign transaction fee, and how that would effect me when I am traveling in a foregin country. If you plan on doing a lot of international travel, and you don't have a 'no foreign transaction fee' checking account or credit card, the Amex EveryDay may not be of much use to you (unless you are willing to eat the 2.7% foreign transaction fee each time you swipe/dip when abroad). However, if you are only going to be traveling internationally for 1, maybe 2, weeks out of any given year, you might as well take advantage of the 50 to 51 weeks of spending when at home and get the Amex EveryDay and the accompanying access to the Membership Rewards program.

To be clear, in my experience, this decision was easier for me to make as I have a checking account that has no fee for foreign transactions and reiburses me for all atm fees (shamelss plug for Charles Schwab Bank!), so I don't have to worry about eating any fee when traveling internationally. All I would have to do is forgo my points when abroad by using my debit card and/or cash rather than my Amex.

You are the only one who can make the choice as you will be the cardholder, but I thought I'd give you the little bit of information above. I may prefer Amex, but I have friends and family who really like Capital One, and speak highly of Capital One.

It is quite greedy and stupid on American Express's part to have a foreign transaction fee when acceptance is very spotty in other countries. 

Agreed! Very true on that matter, I was looking at Amex cards that interest me and pretty much all of them have foreign transaction fees. Amex coverage in particular countries is spotty. Makes me appreciate my Discover It card even more now! Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's just it, as noted above, Venture doesn't really give you miles.  It's a cash back card with redemption restrictions related to travel.  For travelers cards that give you genuines miles or points are more valuable.

Mmm, gotcha. I'm looking at purely for a travelers card, but I doubt only one card will suit my needs....I'm coming to that realization slowly hah.

Seems like Venture is outta of the question for me.

But surprisingly, the airline I'm flying has a card and it looks really appealing tbh Smiley Surprised

I travel to Mexico frequent and it's the airline I'd generally prefer. I'm most likely applying for the Aeromexico Visa by US Bank. 

Downfall: It does have a foreign transaction fee and annual fee, but the perks by default would still be a big come up.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.