Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding which credit cards to close. Need some advice

tag
Nyru
Valued Member

Deciding which credit cards to close. Need some advice

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around these forums trying to figure out if I could answer this on my own, but I feel like I'm in a predicament. I have 9 credit/retail cards. I've also been having trouble getting my credit score up as high as I'd like. TU- 682, EQ- 640, EXP- 673, no collections/bankruptcies, etc. I was unemployed about Months ago, was using about 80% of my $17,700 total credit, but always made payments. In the past Months, I've brought that down to $3000. Throughout that my score has improved, but it has fluctuated, at times even dropping and then increasing. My problem is I'm so overwhelmed by so many CC's that I just don't think I can practically keep up with using 10% on each one, especially when I really have no need for some of them. Here they are:

CCCL
Chase freedom2000
Amex Clear500
Amex Blue1000
Chase Hyatt5000
Nordstrom Visa6000
GM Mastercard1400
Discover IT1000
National Tire & Battery (NTB)600
Banan Republic

The Amex Clear & GM have been collecting dust, as well as BR & NTB.

Currently the only cards I have a balance on are: Discover IT: $700, Amex Blue Preferred ($50), & Hyatt ($300), (I'll pay those off this Friday when I'm paid), & Chase Freedom $1980 (0% interest till Oct, which is why I saved that to the end) . The Amex Blue is my oldest card (6+ years). All the other cards on their, believe it or not, are less than a year old. The Nordstrom visa is one where I'm actually an authorized user. I really want to close the Clear, GM Mastercard, NTB, Banana Republic..

Or, is it even the right the decision to close those?

Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

Starting Score (2/15/13): EX (fako) 583// EQ FICO 634// TU FICO 658
Current Score (5/27/14): EX FICO 719// EQ FICO 742// TU FICO 729
Goal Scores: 740 on all.
CSP- 10K, United mileage explorer- 9k, Freedom- 5k, Barclays Arrival+ W.E.- 5k, Nordstrom- 6k, Chase Hyatt- 5k, Discover it- 5k, Slate- 4.5k, Amex Blue Cash- 1k.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
sosabe77
Contributor

Re: Deciding which credit cards to close. Need some advice

Rule of thumb is usually not to close if it doesn't have an annual fee.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
Nyru
Valued Member

Ok. But aren't I harming my score if I'm not using the cards? Or is it more detrimental if I close them?

Starting Score (2/15/13): EX (fako) 583// EQ FICO 634// TU FICO 658
Current Score (5/27/14): EX FICO 719// EQ FICO 742// TU FICO 729
Goal Scores: 740 on all.
CSP- 10K, United mileage explorer- 9k, Freedom- 5k, Barclays Arrival+ W.E.- 5k, Nordstrom- 6k, Chase Hyatt- 5k, Discover it- 5k, Slate- 4.5k, Amex Blue Cash- 1k.
Message 3 of 9
dodfire
Valued Contributor

It is not hurting your score to keep them open. If you leave them open it will help your UTL when you carry a balance.

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 9
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Agreed with the above. No need to close the card unless it has an AF. If you don't care about the card, just let it sit unused, the bank might close it, but that's fine. If you want to keep the bank from closing the cards you don't use, just make a small purchase ~every 6 months and then PIF immediately.

Message 5 of 9
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

If you are worried about problems keeping up with all the cards, have you tried different ways of monitoring them? Excel spreadsheets (more work for you, safer depending on how you feel about external sites) or something like mint.com? And you don't need to use 10% on all of them. A pack of gum or iTunes song, etc. every month or two is enough for most cards.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 6 of 9
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Hi Nyru:

Welcome to the boards.

To provide some clarification for your statment, you do NOT have to use 10% of each one of your credit cards for a better credit score.

The rule of thumb is that you should have all of your cards reporting a zero balance except for 1 of them.  To get the best score that one card should be reporting under 10% of your total revolving credit lines.

Now, it is different for each person, but someone between 1% and 9% reporting will give you the optimal score, but I don't worry about mine too much and just let mine report about 1%.

So, this means that you can pick the card that gives you the best rewards and just do your charging on that card and throw your other ones in the sock drawer if they do NOT have an annual fee.

If your card has an annual fee and you will not be using it, then you should consider closing it after the statement reports it's a zero balance.

For the cards that you will be keeping open, you can just pull them out the sockdrawer every 3 months or so, make a small charge on them and immediately make a payment, and then send them back to the sock drawer.

This will help you to manage which cards need payments on them and which ones do not.

Hope this helps.

Edit:  b_seeker beat me to the response.  Smiley Happy

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 7 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I agree. Why don't you just SD some of them? Zero them out and make a small charge every 6 months? If anything, I would close the banana republic as that card can be difficult to keep active as it is a store card but I suppose you could make your semi-annual charge through an online purchase.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 9
sosabe77
Contributor

Definitely sock drawer the ones you don't intend to use.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.