Valued Contributor

Re: Declined! AMEX 61 day 3x CLI

Try again in 90 days.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not enough history to me would imply that the 61+ day general guideline wasn't met... the same way if a CLI is requested inside of 180 days after an initial CLI that is the typical reason given.

That definitely isnt true. Many people are denied CLIs with Amex and are given the same reason 'not enough history' and were eligible for CLIs.

The problem here is that far too many people think that Amex CLIs are guaranteed when they are not.  Just because they give you a $1K or $2K limit with them doesnt mean, that even if you're eligible, that they feel comfortable giving you 3X times that.  All you can do is try again in 90 days and hope for the best.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aww that sucks! Amex I was acutally approved the 3x CLI at 91 days (tried too early so had to wait that long) but I was denied on my Discover at 90+ days and after 3rd statement cut so I know how you feel Smiley Sad mark your calendar for 91 days and try again Smiley Happy best of luck! 

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That definitely isnt true. Many people are denied CLIs with Amex and are given the same reason 'not enough history' and were eligible for CLIs.

Ah, so they give BS reasons.  I wasn't aware of that, but good to know.  I know some creditors do give bogus reasons, some do not.  "Not enough history" could mean not enough history [with that limit] or it could mean not enough history [with accounts, AAoA] as CAPTOOL suggested.  If neither of these is the case, it's bogus IMO for a creditor to give "not enough history" as the reason for a CLI denial.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my Amex BCE I had a $1,000 SL. I tried the 61 day 3x CLI and was turned down. So I waited until it had been 180ish days and tried again and it was approved. It now sits at $3,000 limit.
Message 15 of 25
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I apped and was approved for both BCP and Platinum on July 21st. $1000 CL on BCP

My score FICO EX was 652 and it is 713 as of 9/19/16

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that Amex isn't seeing or going off of your 713 score; Amex is using your 652 score that you were approved with in making your CLI request decision.

If you look up your FICO score when you log into your Amex account, I assume it still has the original score you were approved with back in July correct?  I was told by Amex CS that this score typically doesn't update until after the 3rd statement, which could end up being around 100 days after activation.  If you request a CLI before that time, which most around here do at 61+ days, they will be going off of your original pull from when you apped.  In the case of those that were approved with very good scores, most tend to walk away with a 3X CLI or at least some sort of CLI.  For those in your boat where you've achieved significant improvement over the course of the last 2 months, it will go unnoticed by Amex until they SP you again.  My best advice would be waiting until Amex updates your EX score on their site.  At this time you'll know they have your more recent data to go off of, and I'd expect your chances at a CLI would increase significantly.  You can try contacting Amex to attempt to get them to SP you again sooner, but I'm not sure if this is possible or anyone has had success with it.  Regardless, in a little over a month assuming your scores stay where they're at you should be golden, IMO.

Message 17 of 25
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem is that Amex isn't seeing or going off of your 713 score; Amex is using your 652 score that you were approved with in making your CLI request decision.

If you look up your FICO score when you log into your Amex account, I assume it still has the original score you were approved with back in July correct?  I was told by Amex CS that this score typically doesn't update until after the 3rd statement, which could end up being around 100 days after activation.  If you request a CLI before that time, which most around here do at 61+ days, they will be going off of your original pull from when you apped.  In the case of those that were approved with very good scores, most tend to walk away with a 3X CLI or at least some sort of CLI.  For those in your boat where you've achieved significant improvement over the course of the last 2 months, it will go unnoticed by Amex until they SP you again.  My best advice would be waiting until Amex updates your EX score on their site.  At this time you'll know they have your more recent data to go off of, and I'd expect your chances at a CLI would increase significantly.  You can try contacting Amex to attempt to get them to SP you again sooner, but I'm not sure if this is possible or anyone has had success with it.  Regardless, in a little over a month assuming your scores stay where they're at you should be golden, IMO.

+1

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

MY FICO score with Amex changes every 30 days??? Why would they go with the original score when you signed up? doesn't make sense to me. 

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

MY FICO score with Amex changes every 30 days??? Why would they go with the original score when you signed up? doesn't make sense to me. 

Perhaps you didn't read my entire post.  While Amex may update your score every 30 days give or take, your FIRST update isn't until roughly 100 days from the time you are approved, which is after your 3rd statement.  While there may be exceptions to this, it is more or less standard.

Therefore, inside the first ~100 days of the account being active, Amex has nothing other than your original HP to go off of in the event that you request a CLI.

Once your score starts updating monthly, any CLI requests will result in Amex using your last (current) pulled score/profile.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.