Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined Gap Store Credit Card

tag
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Re: Declined Gap Store Credit Card

They are, indeed, odd.  This was over a year ago but I applied for the Old Navy Store or VISA card in the store.  You know, the deal where you apply and they'll approve you for the VISA, or if not, the store card (or not at all.)

They approved me for the store card so I was happy - I was expecting a total turndown.  I got the store card in the mail soon enough but less than a week after that I got the VISA in the mail.  And I thought I was not eligible for the VISA.

Later when I called and asked if they could combine my credit limits onto just the VISA (I have a $400 limit on the store and $1000 on the VISA) they said no, and also told me that they were not supposed to give me both.  I guess someone made a mistake.  They didn't cancel either account, though, so I still have both.

I can't get CLIs at all with them, though, despite heavy usage of the VISA and paying it completely off several times and carrying a large balance other times.

Frequent Contributor

Depends where you are is what report they pulled. I actually have a few GEMB store cards, and for GAP they pulled EQ. I was approved last November in the store for $300, with several inquiries, and a EQ fico of about 660. If you did include GEMB cards in your bk that might be the reason for the denial. Try the back door number, it is worth a shot.
MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 12 of 13
JonStur
Established Contributor

Absolutely try for a recon...you should do this for any denial..all they can say is no. As the old saying goes "'a closed mouth doesn't get fed"... You've already used an inq at least make it count..they may tell you the reasons you were denied and give you an idea of what you may want to improve in your profile.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.