Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined by Nationwide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Declined by Nationwide

I applied for nationwide credit card Thrusday,  just got a letter today and I was declined because it said I have insufficient credit history. Just wanted to see from other people who have been accepted what there credit history was when they applied.. My oldest card is from dec.08 and second oldest is march 09

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Declined by Nationwide

My mom was declined last week because of util.  I have seen other posters with util over 45% getting approved for 15k lines.  This bank makes absolutely no since to me when I read the people that have been approved and the people that have been declined. and then trying to recon seems like a shot in the dark.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for nationwide credit card Thrusday,  just got a letter today and I was declined because it said I have insufficient credit history. Just wanted to see from other people who have been accepted what there credit history was when they applied.. My oldest card is from dec.08 and second oldest is march 09

Sorry to hear you were declined.

How old an account has to be before it isn't considered new is not easy to state with any certainty.  Some creditors consider it a "thin file" when your accounts are under a year old and yet others will say it is two or even three years. 

Message 3 of 10
andre181
Established Contributor

Got my denial letter about a week ago, Reason: Excessive Obligations

My income is ~$30,000/year. Rent is $450 and Car payment is $272

Right now I have about 5% utli because I just charged all my books for school (about $590) which starts Aug 23.

Called for a recon. I should hear back by the end of this week. 

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@andre181 wrote:

Right now I have about 5% utli because I just charged all my books for school (about $590) which starts Aug 23.

Sometimes there is no logic behind Nationwide decisions.  I can't see where anything you have described is excessive or even close to it.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess i will just have to re-apply once my cards age a little more, since it sounds like they are hard to get a recon approved. I didnt think they would be as hard as citi and amex, I was approved for both a couple months ago

Message 6 of 10
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess i will just have to re-apply once my cards age a little more, since it sounds like they are hard to get a recon approved. I didnt think they would be as hard as citi and amex, I was approved for both a couple months ago

I think your problem are these 2 cards dragging down your AAoA.

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MrShush wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think your problem are these 2 cards dragging down your AAoA.

+1

Or just the fact that you have two new cards period, regardless of what your AAoA is.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps that's the reason but I think only citi was showing on my report when I applied, also I would of thought they would say aaoa not sufficient instead of what they did say, it's alright though didn't absolutely need it just applied cause I heard they only pull tu
Message 9 of 10
happy0510
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@andre181 wrote:

Sometimes there is no logic behind Nationwide decisions.  I can't see where anything you have described is excessive or even close to it.

+1

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.