Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for AmEx Blue

tag
Kat
Valued Member

Declined for AmEx Blue

On 5/1/07 my FICO scores were 702, 710, 729 (EQ/EX/TU).  Today, my EQ FICO score has gone down to 698.  I assume my EX & TU have dipped a bit as well, but since I don't want to pay for additional score reports right now, I don't know for sure.  The only change in my credit since May is an 1K CC balance increase. 

I am currently unemployed and I'd like to transfer my cc bal to a No/Low interest cc.  AmEx is the only company I could find that didn't require employment information on their credit application.

Here are the reasons my AmEx application was declined.  The indented information is from my EX CR.

Low Experian score
     -My EX score is probably in the high 600's?

Too many new accounts (Experian)  
     -USB CC. Feb 07, CL 7000, Bal 2373
     -USB LOC (OD protection), May 06, CL 1500, Bal 0.00
     -USB LOC (OD protection), June 06, CL 5000, Bal 0.00
     -HSBC CC, Sept 05, CL 1550, Bal 0.00

Lack of bank acct or lack of bank account information.  
     **Brain Fart**  I neglected to enter bank/checking info on application
      (cking acct open since 2000, no savings)

Minimal or low credit limits (Experian)    
     -See New Accounts Above

Serious delinquency, and public record or collection filed. 
     -Many late pymts between Feb 01 and Feb 03
     -2 State Tax Lien's Released Dec 06
     -No Open Collections (3 closed/paid as of Apr 05)

Number of accts with delinquency and the level of delinquency for these accts. 
     -No Delinquent Accounts in the past 27 months
     -7 seriously delinquent accts, 3 with Derogatory statements, March 01 to Apr 05
     -No charge-offs or BK. All old accts closed and pd in full.

Length of time accounts have been established. 

-Oldest open account, 23 months
     -Oldest closed acct on CR, Sept 80

Should I reapply to AmEx--this time including my bank info, or are my past credit problems too severe and recent for AmEx?

Can anyone suggest a different CC for me to try?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Kat

Message Edited by Kat on 08-14-2007 03:57 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kat
Valued Member

Re: Declined for AmEx Blue

Curiosity got the Kat...

I decided to submit a second AmEx Blue online application -- this time remembering to enter the checkmark indicating that I have a checking account.  And Wahlaa... I was approved with a 2000 CL.

The CL is 1K lower than what I was hoping for, but considering that I didn't have to enter employeer info, I think I did pretty good!

Does anyone know of other cc apps that don't require you to enter current employeer info?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Job Guys!!! Just be careful... I was hot for a prestige card myself anf my mouth was watering for the Blue Cash.  After getting another offer I realized that my current 2% cash back on everythng and better interest rate was a lot better than what they were offering.  All I;msaying is dont be blinde by the Blue...lol!!

Again congrats
Message 4 of 6
Kat
Valued Member

UPDATE--------

My new blue cc arrived today--it's SO PRETTY! 

I'm VERY surprised to see how high the APR will be after the 6 month, 0% promo period  -- 19.24% (prime + 10.99%), OUCH! 

Is this their standard rate?  Or, did they give me this rate because of my credit history? (EX 701)

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kat wrote:
UPDATE--------

My new blue cc arrived today--it's SO PRETTY! 

I'm VERY surprised to see how high the APR will be after the 6 month, 0% promo period  -- 19.24% (prime + 10.99%), OUCH! 

Is this their standard rate?  Or, did they give me this rate because of my credit history? (EX 701)

Thats what I mean Kat.  That is a subprime interest rate if I ever saw one. Glad I went with the HSBC card and 2% back, only 13.9 on the interest and I DO have a BK but its about 7 years old.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.