Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for Discover IT

tag
AgentofGaming
New Contributor

Declined for Discover IT

I received the prescreened offer last week, and decided to apply with the $150 offer.

I got declined for the Discover IT yesterday and was offered the secured card

Called recon this morning and I asked to know the reason for the decline and they asked me if I had any cards. I mentioned I was new to the country and the discover card would be a great way to build history. The rep however said it was either the secured card or reapply in a couple months.

I forgot to ask which credit report they pulled. Should I try again? or should I wait for the letter (if any)? since they didn't mention the reason why they declined me.

Next:
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

Re: Declined for Discover IT

@AgentofGaming wrote:

I received the prescreened offer last week, and decided to apply with the $150 offer.

Called recon this morning and I asked to know the reason for the decline and they asked me if I had any cards. I mentioned I was new to the country and the discover card would be a great way to build history. The rep however said it was either the secured card or reapply in a couple months.

I forgot to ask which credit report they pulled. Should I try again? or should I wait for the letter (if any)? since they didn't mention the reason why they declined me.

Wait for the letter, I'm pretty sure it's for a lack of history. I believe they usually pull TU

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 2 of 7
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear. Discover frequently also pulls EQ. If you have the funds take the secure IT card ....nice rewards to start building your credit history.
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@AgentofGaming wrote:

Do I see $10k BofA Credit Card here in US?

Forget the Discover it... but I would call recon again and see if you can "actually" get to underwriting... sometimes they act like it's not possible to speak to them but now that I went through CLI yesterday and DID speak to "Credit" I know they have it and you can speak to them just not sure they allow non card holders applying to talk to them... weird.

Message 4 of 7
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@AgentofGaming wrote:

Welcome to myFICO. Once you receive the letter, you'll know where you need to improve. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Creditaddict. You have other options if Discover denied you. Their reconsideration can be difficult. I had to apply for Discover 3 times before they finally approved me. I think you should look at Barclaycard, even their rewards card for average credit. Its decent rewards and will build the history you need.

If you go the secured route, Bank of America is the way to go. It graduates to unsecured rather quickly and consistently.
Message 6 of 7
AgentofGaming
New Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@AgentofGaming wrote:

Do I see $10k BofA Credit Card here in US?

Forget the Discover it... but I would call recon again and see if you can "actually" get to underwriting... sometimes they act like it's not possible to speak to them but now that I went through CLI yesterday and DID speak to "Credit" I know they have it and you can speak to them just not sure they allow non card holders applying to talk to them... weird.

I called 888-676-3695 (Recon number found on the boards here)

I got to New Accounts and I asked to know why I was declined and was forwarded. I'm not sure what department it was that declined me but they were very firm on it. Does it seem like the right department?

And yes that's a 10K and I also got a secured card (totally unnecessary). I brought that up in the conversation as the reason why an unsecured card would be better.

I guess I'll wait for a letter and try again. If not maybe I'll try Sallie Mae card at 6 months credit history on the BofA. The crummy thing is I've already paid down my 0% interest balance on BofA to make utilization look better.

Next:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.