cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decrease Biz Card CL, Increase Personal Card CL?

tag
sosabe77
Contributor

Decrease Biz Card CL, Increase Personal Card CL?

A while ago, I mistakenly did a 3X CLI on my Biz Amex instead of my personal Amex.  So I have a bloated biz CL that I don't really need.  In the meantime, I've been denied a CLI at the limit I want on my personal card since then.

Does Amex have a combined biz+personal exposure formula?  If so, and if I willfully lower the CL on my biz card, could it increase my chances to stay within my combined exposure and get a higher personal CL?

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Decrease Biz Card CL, Increase Personal Card CL?

@sosabe77 wrote:

A while ago, I mistakenly did a 3X CLI on my Biz Amex instead of my personal Amex.  So I have a bloated biz CL that I don't really need.  In the meantime, I've been denied a CLI at the limit I want on my personal card since then.

Does Amex have a combined biz+personal exposure formula?  If so, and if I willfully lower the CL on my biz card, could it increase my chances to stay within my combined exposure and get a higher personal CL?

They definitely include both personal and business limits in their internal limit for you.  Therefore if you reduced your overall exposure and that is the reason why they won’t grant a CLI, reducing your business card limit would help.

Message 2 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

They definitely include both personal and business limits in their internal limit for you.  Therefore if you reduced your overall exposure and that is the reason why they won’t grant a CLI, reducing your business card limit would help.

With that said sometimes keeping personal credit a bit lower and hiding it in business credit can be a good thing so it doesn't scare lenders off having a huge aggregate CL on personal credit where-as only current lenders with your business credit can really see that.  Your case Amex can see both.  Just something to think about.

Message 3 of 8
sosabe77
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

Thanks for the clarity.  I might as well try my luck and see how things turn out.

Message 4 of 8
sosabe77
Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

With that said sometimes keeping personal credit a bit lower and hiding it in business credit can be a good thing so it doesn't scare lenders off having a huge aggregate CL on personal credit where-as only current lenders with your business credit can really see that.  Your case Amex can see both.  Just something to think about.

Good advice for the future.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

Agree completely. I love to ‘hide’ limits with my business cards 😎

Message 6 of 8
sosabe77
Contributor

Oh one last question...is there any way to find out my exposure?  Will a rep tell me if I ask or is that info considered "G-14 Classified"?

Message 7 of 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@sosabe77 wrote:

Oh one last question...is there any way to find out my exposure?  Will a rep tell me if I ask or is that info considered "G-14 Classified"?

No all based on income, how long you been with lender, credit profile internal with them and external, DTI, etc.. Way to many factors

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.