Did you mean: 

Define Chase Trifecta

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Define Chase Trifecta

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never found value in the Chase trifecta. Sure, you can maximize points and get 4-4.5% back on travel using the 3 cards, but I always look at the total cost of travel relative to competitors. I found that using the Chase portal costs more for the same travel options in a lot of their offerings than a Priceline or Orbitz. Both are non-refundable offerings, and I think it negates the 4+% advantage.  

Even using points from my Propel for hotels or flights directly through the Wells site costs more for the identical offerings from Priceline or Orbitz, so I always redeem points for dollars and use the other sites to book travel.

And I'm willing to bet that Chase and Wells sub out their offerings directly from Priceline or Orbitz with a slightly different interface but with elevated prices. 

I took a hard look at it and decided against such a construct because of what I found.

Imo using chase travel portal isn't the optimal use of UR points so that why value isn't the best. You want to use UR to transfer directly to their travel partners. If you are looking at cash back values than UR isn't the right currency for you there are other cash back cards out there. 

If you are patient and are fairly flexible with your schedule you can really get good value, if not a cash back travel card may be a better fit for you. While I am not the biggest fan of UR these days I have been able to get some good value out of them redeeming for J or F flights to Far East to visit family. Usually at least 8x , or as high as 19x on my most recent redemption for Jan flight to Japan. 

Yeah, I can see giving up some flexibility to get added benefits. Its seems to me that getting a better deal from the portals happens when you book some of the less desirable flights/hotels/etc times or destinations. I've seen some steep discounts with vacation wholesale companies, but their best offerings were available mostly on less desirable times on the calendar. For some that works great. 

Message 11 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never found value in the Chase trifecta. Sure, you can maximize points and get 4-4.5% back on travel using the 3 cards, but I always look at the total cost of travel relative to competitors. I found that using the Chase portal costs more for the same travel options in a lot of their offerings than a Priceline or Orbitz. Both are non-refundable offerings, and I think it negates the 4+% advantage.  

Even using points from my Propel for hotels or flights directly through the Wells site costs more for the identical offerings from Priceline or Orbitz, so I always redeem points for dollars and use the other sites to book travel.

And I'm willing to bet that Chase and Wells sub out their offerings directly from Priceline or Orbitz with a slightly different interface but with elevated prices. 

I took a hard look at it and decided against such a construct because of what I found.

Chase portal = Expedia.

Keep in mind that displayed pricing varies by the OTA. Expedia, Chase, Amex, and Citi all display pricing inclusive of all taxes and fees. I have not seen any discrepancy in SkyTeam flight pricing among the various portals and booking directly with Delta, Air France, KLM, or Aeromexico.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase portal = Expedia.

Keep in mind that displayed pricing varies by the OTA. Expedia, Chase, Amex, and Citi all display pricing inclusive of all taxes and fees. I have not seen any discrepancy in SkyTeam flight pricing among the various portals and booking directly with Delta, Air France, KLM, or Aeromexico.

That could be why.  I may try it again and have both up side by side, or even compare Expedia vs the others to see if the difference covers the 4%+.

Message 13 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

1 Denial 2 Hard Pulls !
Message 14 of 17
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
1 Denial 2 Hard Pulls !

smiley-laughing021.gif

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Thank you for the help, all... I'm not much of a traveler, so I think this particular mythical magic may be beyond my needs.

Thanks again tho!  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 15 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No, I wrote a long explanation on page one.  You are morally obligated to get the CSR now.

As far as travel, the definition is pretty loose and includes things like parking, tolls, and mass transit (unfortunately not petrol, Citi Premier is pretty much the only one that still counts it).

Message 16 of 17
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

No, I wrote a long explanation on page one.  You are morally obligated to get the CSR now.

As far as travel, the definition is pretty loose and includes things like parking, tolls, and mass transit (unfortunately not petrol, Citi Premier is pretty much the only one that still counts it).

When a preapproval for CSR/CSP show up with an attractive SUB, I might grab one... but I'll hit the SUB and cannibalize the card.... like DW just did.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.