Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay Activation for SUB?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delay Activation for SUB?

I have a new card in the mail with a SUB requiring a 3K spend but I'm thinking if I delay activating by a few weeks, I can capture some spend on the last few days that should take me over the finish line.

Is there a time limit by which a company will activate by or is it literally up to you? Does the company start the clock based on mailing time for the SUB?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Delay Activation for SUB?

Some banks have their little rules regarding the actual amount of time you have to reach a SUB but general rule of thumb is once you're approved the clock starts ticking. A person not activating their cards for several weeks just means time lost on reaching spend for a credit card.

Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Most issuers stick to the SUB timeframe depending on the promotion (e.g. 60 days, 90 days, etc.) from the time the card is approved. There are a few issuers that provide a little leeway to account for the time a cardholder is in receipt of their card (Citi is pretty good with this, for instance).

Contact the issuer just to be very clear on what the exact date would be for meeting the spending requirement. Often times, there's no special consideration to extend the timeframe unless there are extenuating circumstances that may delay in meeting the latter (i.e. fraud, misdirected/lost card, etc.).
Message 3 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a new card in the mail with a SUB requiring a 3K spend but I'm thinking if I delay activating by a few weeks, I can capture some spend on the last few days that should take me over the finish line.

Is there a time limit by which a company will activate by or is it literally up to you? Does the company start the clock based on mailing time for the SUB?

Need more info.

What card and when you applied and how much time has passed.

Many issuers start the clock the moment you are approved for the card.

Time may already have started and you are just giving yourself less time to make the spend.

Some issuers believe a card is lost if not activated within a time period and close it down !

* Edit *

*  You guys are fast this morning, two of you beat me to the same answer !!   *

Message 4 of 9
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Most lender start the clock at approval and exclude cash advances and will deny the SUB if it's not met. They are at discretion to not reconsider their decision.
Message 5 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

wrote:
Most issuers stick to the SUB timeframe depending on the promotion (e.g. 60 days, 90 days, etc.) from the time the card is approved. There are a few issuers that provide a little leeway to account for the time a cardholder is in receipt of their card (Citi is pretty good with this, for instance).

Contact the issuer just to be very clear on what the exact date would be for meeting the spending requirement. Often times, there's no special consideration to extend the timeframe unless there are extenuating circumstances that may delay in meeting the latter (i.e. fraud, misdirected/lost card, etc.).

They basically have to give you extra time. I’ve seen entire buildings built faster then they mail new cards. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Generally the clock starts on the day you open your account/get approved.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wouldnt play with a SUB timeframe. Just ask those poor souls who get their cards late and thought they had time to complete their SubSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 9
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:

They basically have to give you extra time. I’ve seen entire buildings built faster then they mail new cards. 

Rofl. Nice.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.