Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell or Best Buy credit

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Dell or Best Buy credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Our BK was discharged in Sept of 07 and Best Buy just turned us down for a $500 laptop.  Did you try one or the other yet?  We really need a new computer too but I don't want to take another FICO hit by applying and being turned down at Dell too.  We can pay it off when we get our tax return but I need to load last year's  turbo tax onto a pc to prepare this year's return - talk about a catch 22!

There are other options.  File the return via TurboTax website.  If and when you get monies back after filing,  go back to Best Buy and pay cash.  

Message 21 of 27
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@jean615 wrote:
DO NOT buy thru dell..I bought a computer from them at least three years ago and because I do the minimum of twenty two dollars a month the amount NEVER goes down due to HIGH interest rate. In my opinion I have purchased three of these computer's by now!!

This is the case with almost any account if you pay the min payment. Unless you get a No interest for x months with best buy , You will have the same results on paying a min payment every month. Dell Outlet was suggested because the bang for your buck goes alot farther there than if you buy a computer from best buy .  
Message 22 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@Woolfman wrote:

@jean615 wrote:
DO NOT buy thru dell..I bought a computer from them at least three years ago and because I do the minimum of twenty two dollars a month the amount NEVER goes down due to HIGH interest rate. In my opinion I have purchased three of these computer's by now!!

This is the case with almost any account if you pay the min payment. Unless you get a No interest for x months with best buy , You will have the same results on paying a min payment every month. Dell Outlet was suggested because the bang for your buck goes alot farther there than if you buy a computer from best buy .  

I bought my $400 Acer laptop from Bestbuy.  I connect it to my t.v. to use as a dvd player and haven't had any problems with it. 

I personally don't buy any Dell products.  I ordered a laptop from them several years ago while in college.  When I received the laptop, the battery didn't work. I sent the laptop back and was still charged a shipping fee.  To protect my credit, I paid it.  I will never do business with Dell. Get the computer from Best Buy is a better choice.   

Message Edited by DI on 01-15-2010 09:29 AM
Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered a NewEgg Preferred Account?  Generally can get 12 months interest free and NewEgg has great products, great prices and great CS (IME).

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually don't buy much from Best buy, because they aren't usually the "best buy", for local stores I find target or walmrt or even sears to be cheaper almost always, of course Dell was cheaper than all of them. I have bought 3 laptops and 1 desktop from Dell and have never had any problems, also the last two places I worked bought all their computers from Dell as well, and always had great service. Of course because it is bought from a distance returning it would be more difficult than dropping it off at a store.
Message 25 of 27
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

@Woolfman wrote:

@jean615 wrote:

I bought my $400 Acer laptop from Bestbuy.  I connect it to my t.v. to use as a dvd player and haven't had any problems with it. 

I personally don't buy any Dell products.  I order a laptop from them several years ago while in college.  When I received the laptop, the batter didn't work. I sent the laptop back and was still charged a shipping fee.  To protect my credit, I paid it.  I will never do business with Dell. Get the computer from Best Buy is a better choice.   

Message Edited by DI on 01-15-2010 09:21 AM

I have to agree with you in one area , We bought a laptop package from dell $400 came with the laptop,a printer,mouse and bag . I have been pleasantly surprised with the laptop.

I bought a dell desktop from the outlet . Came with full warranty for 2yrs including next day service. (meaning they will come to my house to fix my computer) and it didnt cost me anything extra. The dell outlet makes some computers affordable to people who otherwise could not afford the computer they really want. My computer new from dell would have cost me close to 2k . I got it for 900 bucks delivered . So i guess its all really in what you want out of your computer Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

The ony thing I do on my laptop is check accounts, emails, buy mp3 songs and watch dvd's.  So there was no need for me to go out and get a really expensive computer.  I even requested a lower Internet speed from my cable provider to pay a cheaper amount for the Internet.  That's working fine too.  It's all about saving more and spending less with me.  

Message Edited by DI on 01-15-2010 10:05 AM
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.