Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Amex statement credit

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Delta Amex statement credit

I purchased a $50 gift card from Delta to get the statement credit, paid the taxes and the credit was applied. However, my available credit still says $950, even tho the balance is zero and the credit posted. The live chat rep is telling me that since it isn't "applied as a payment" then my available credit isn't adjusted. What??? This doesn't make any sense. Has anyone else had this issue?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Amex statement credit

Use your card at a vending machine then PIF

Message 2 of 4
taxi818
Super Contributor

As stated. Just spend $50. and pay $50. then you will balance your account out. The results will be the same.

Edit .The $50 you are spending are actually the gift card Dollars. Now you are paying your bill which will be applied to your account. hope you got it.

Message 3 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@taxi818 wrote:

As stated. Just spend $50. and pay $50. then you will balance your account out. The results will be the same.

Edit .The $50 you are spending are actually the gift card Dollars. Now you are paying your bill which will be applied to your account. hope you got it.

I had never thought about it that way, but it actually makes sense. 

Because you have to 'charge' against the statement credit before charging against your ledger balance, there is no way to get a refund for it.  In another word, you are forced to use the card to realize the credit, and there's no way to 'game' the system.

It does all "come out in the wash", but I *can* see why they would do it that way.  I understand the Delta benefit is basically a 'reimbursement', but for folks getting spend bonuses, there's no way to simply collect the bonus (like requesting a credit balance refund) without further charging.  Sneaky!  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.