Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Companion Pass - No Availability?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Delta Companion Pass - No Availability?

Dear mF and @K-in-Boston ,

With minimal travel during the pandemic, I only now tried to use the Companion Pass from my Delta Platinum Amex. Delta wouldn't let me use it! How common an experience is this? I've encountered hotels not having award space but didn't know airlines limited companion pass "award" space.

I was trying to fly LAX-SFO Round Trip, near the peak of the holiday travel season. Delta showed lots of availability if I searched for two normal paid seats, but those seats were "Sold Out" when I used their companion pass search. Did I do something wrong? Is there some way around this?

Ultimately I went with United out of ONT. The tickets were cheaper than Delta, so with the 35% of MRs back on my United flights with Amex Business Platinum and the 2021 United extras credit for $200 it's a good deal. The business will never actually pay for the flights or bag fees, since I will get a statement credit, so I figure that doesn't muddle business finances that much. Without the companion pass Delta was way more expensive.

I have another 14 months on the passes and get some value from the checked bags and dining credits...but I'm very bummed that they refused the companion pass.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Delta Companion Pass - No Availability?

@wasCB14 as your question is directly related to a credit card perk, I went ahead and moved it to the Credit Cards subforum.

There is no need for award availability for the Companion Ticket.  The certificate can be used on any booking within the lower 48 states (the criteria is different for those who live in HI, AK, PR, and USVI) that has 2 Main Cabin tickets available with L, U, X, T, or V fares.  Those are the lower discounted economy fares (not basic economy, but just the 5 cheapest rates of numerous economy fare classes) and you should have no problems finding tickets in those classes as long as you're booking out at least a month, although you may run into issues for say a holiday weekend or a school vacation week where those fares will sell months ahead.

I just selected random dates from ONT to LGA.  Below you can see that the cheapest Main Cabin tickets for the first three flight options are in V, L, and K fares.  If you were booking with a Companion Certificate, you would be able to choose the V or L fares, but not the third flight shown as the cheapest fare still available is K.  While it can be frustrating booking close-in because higher fares are not available, keep in mind that many other airlines that issues certfiicates like this through loyalty or credit cards will require higher fare classes like Y, where it would be far less expensive to grab two X fares for example than it would to get buy one get one free on a Y fare.

Message 2 of 24
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Thanks! That explains it. I searched again just now and mostly saw M B and H fares - and no LUXTV options for the return flight. So that's where the constraint was.

I failed to appreciate how many different fare classes exist for an in-state main cabin flight!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No worries.  As long as you plan ahead a little these should be very easy to use.  FWIW Reserve's expanded certificate has some similar limitations.  You can get S and W fares in Comfort+ only when LUXTV fares are available in Main Cabin, and only I and Z fares are available to choose for First, so no full-fare J business class or F first class fares but with today's prices it would be silly to pay like $4000 for one of the latter for a domestic flight unless you had no choice and a client was being billed for it.  😂 

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is crazy. We have trips in April, July, and November. None of these trips on the dates we need are available for the companion pass. What a waste. The November trip is booking out 8 months and NO seats. I have tried different dates as well.

Message 5 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous April would not be too surprising to not have any eligible fares available; demand is pretty high right now.  Which pass are you using (Platinum or Reserve) and what routes are you trying to book?  I just glanced at some random dates for BOS-LAX for example and no issues finding L, U, X, T, or V fares that would be eligible for either pass from early May onward.  If those fare codes aren't available, Main Cabin would be pretty full as those fares are a substantial number of what gets sold.

Message 6 of 24
jcooks
Established Contributor

Wait til you have to book award flights on ANA's website

Message 7 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@jcooks wrote:

Wait til you have to book award flights on ANA's website

I've heard that one's always an adventure, but often a lucrative one.  As I mentioned a few months back in my first response, the companion pass from Amex Delta cards should be pretty to use though as it doesn't need award availability.  As long as two seats are available in an eligible fare class, it can be used on one of the tickets.  And unlike some other programs, those fares are the plentiful lower end ones rather than the very expensive full- or nearly full-price fares like Y.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

April is after Easter and weekdays. July is after the week of the 4th. We are trying for DTW-MCO, but I have checked lots of airports in FL. The card is Platinum.

Message 9 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 as your question is directly related to a credit card perk, I went ahead and moved it to the Credit Cards subforum.

There is no need for award availability for the Companion Ticket.  The certificate can be used on any booking within the lower 48 states (the criteria is different for those who live in HI, AK, PR, and USVI) that has 2 Main Cabin tickets available with L, U, X, T, or V fares.  Those are the lower discounted economy fares (not basic economy, but just the 5 cheapest rates of numerous economy fare classes) and you should have no problems finding tickets in those classes as long as you're booking out at least a month, although you may run into issues for say a holiday weekend or a school vacation week where those fares will sell months ahead.

I just selected random dates from ONT to LGA.  Below you can see that the cheapest Main Cabin tickets for the first three flight options are in V, L, and K fares.  If you were booking with a Companion Certificate, you would be able to choose the V or L fares, but not the third flight shown as the cheapest fare still available is K.  While it can be frustrating booking close-in because higher fares are not available, keep in mind that many other airlines that issues certfiicates like this through loyalty or credit cards will require higher fare classes like Y, where it would be far less expensive to grab two X fares for example than it would to get buy one get one free on a Y fare.

You are truly amazing @K-in-Boston I can't imagine how you keep that kind of information in your head.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.