Did you mean: 

Delta GC Redemption Quandry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta GC Redemption Quandry

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 5.23.54 PM.png

Hello everyone -

I have a bunch of Delta gift cards that I've accumulated over the past couple of years from my Amex plat cards and Gold card which I'm looking to redeem for some upcoming flights. Unfortunately, it's not possible to redeem more than 3 GCs @ one time on Delta's website and from my research it takes an exorbitant amount of work and time to redeem @ one time via telephone for both Delta customers and Delta themselves. 

Can anyone please share their recent experience? Is there an easier way to redeem more than the minimum # of GCs stipulated?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta GC Redemption Quandry

I doubt there's an easier way. I'd just call in and see if they can do it that way, or maybe try selling the cards for cash? Only problem then is you lose a small amount to service fees usually.
Message 2 of 10
TheVig
Regular Contributor

I've personally redeamed 9 Delta gift cards, all at once, booking the flights via telephone.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheVig wrote:

I've personally redeamed 9 Delta gift cards, all at once, booking the flights via telephone.

How long did it take Delta to redeem your gift cards and book the flights for you? I'm worried because I read about some phone redemptions taking hours Smiley Frustrated yikes!

Message 4 of 10
TheVig
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheVig wrote:

How long did it take Delta to redeem your gift cards and book the flights for you? I'm worried because I read about some phone redemptions taking hours Smiley Frustrated yikes!

I did my homework before I called. When I called, I had the flight numbers, dates, and seats I wanted. I was on the phone for abount an hour. 

Message 5 of 10
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I, too, have redeemed more than three over the phone.  I would imagine phone time will be based on your status with the airline and if its a busy time of year for flying.  Being Diamond I got through within a minute and done in about 10 minutes.  Have your desired flight info ready as someone has stated.

Message 6 of 10
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Instead of booking a round trip you can book 2 single trips and burn 6 gift cards.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 7 of 10
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, booking two one-ways (assuming the price is the same; it should be for domestic flights, but that $1000 JFK-CDG-JFK ticket might be $6000 booked as JFK-CDG and CDG-JFK) is a good way around it.  With status, Delta phone hold times are usually significantly shorter.  But there really aren't any other good ways around it.  Until very recently (as in months), even over the phone 3 was still the max.

Message 8 of 10
nebula21

I recently redeemed 10 gift cards over the phone...overall it took about 35 minutes. Pretty easy.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

I don't have status but I'll try to redeem my giftcards over the phone. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.