Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Gold downgrade, prorated AF refund within 30d

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Gold downgrade, prorated AF refund within 30d

PSA. Somehow I did not know this! lol

Did the deed two days ago, noticed AF refund is not 100%. Chatted, Rep said AF refund is only 100% if its cancelled within 30d. If its downgrade, it will be prorated even if its within 30d.

So, if you intend to downgrade, do it ASAP!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: PSA. Delta Gold downgrade, AF refund is prorated even within 30d

I was unaware of that also.  That's an important distinction, but I guess it makes sense since the account is not actually being closed.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know just in case, since previous comments say otherwise. But I plan to cancel before the AF even hits on mine.

Message 3 of 7
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Delta Gold downgrade, prorated AF refund within 30d

Ditto. I just had this happen to my Delta Gold card last week. Prorated credit of roughly ~50% of what full fee was. Renewal date in July.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good to know just in case, since previous comments say otherwise. But I plan to cancel before the AF even hits on mine.

If you are canceling, the full AF would be taken off of your statement.  If product changing and keeping the account open, then it gets prorated.  So for closing an acccount outright or attempting a retention offer, you still have a 30 day grace period.

Message 5 of 7
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

I had exactly this experience recently.

I thought I would be able to downgrade and avoid paying the annual fee I had been charged.

When I was told I couldn't, I asked if it was really true that it would be better (for me) to cancel my card rather than accept the downgrade  and that was what American Express wanted to encourage.  When she said "yes", I told her to cancel my card.

And then, miraculously, she found it possible to find a "goodwill credit" to keep me from canceling and making up the prorated fee.

(And since she thought the fee was prorated in monthly "chunks", she actually ended up giving me more money that the fee I was charged.)

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Gold downgrade, prorated AF refund within 30d

So my 1st AF hits at the end of May. I intended on paying the AF then just downgrading to the Blue card.

Am I a sucker for just accepting that I was gonna pay the whole AF when it hit if I downgraded after paying? 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.