cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum

KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum

I have a Delta Gold card. I want a Delta Platinum card, partly for the welcome offer, but also for the annual companion certificate. The current welcome offer ends this spring. I doubt I will get an invitation to upgrade my Delta Gold card by then, because I've only had it since August.

 

So my question mainly amounts to: will Amex hold it against me if I cancel the Gold card a month after the AF hits in August? It wouldn't be cost-effective to keep both cards, since the benefits overlap and the AFs stack. Thanks!


FICO Resilience Index: 69. Cards: 10/24, 3/12, 3/6. Accounts including loans: 12/24, 4/12, 4/6. At first accidentally, later deliberately, I used what I call the "thick-start" build method, which leads to heavy credit-seeking for a while with the goal of coming out of it without needing to build a thin profile for years. There are pros and cons. Thread describing method
Cards (oldest to newest)


Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan

Card CLs total $151,100, not counting the AU card. The AU card brings the total to $177,600. In 03/19, card CLs totaled $0.
CU and bank memberships: Coastal Credit Union, joined 1987, direct deposit; PenFed, joined 2019; Navy Federal, joined 2020; USAA, joined 2020; Chase Bank, joined 2020. Best: Coastal, worst: NFCU. I have had weird Keystone Kops customer service problems with NFCU several times, despite their reputation here.

Closed but still on reports: American Express Gold, NPSL, 08/19-06/21 | American Express Delta Gold, $1,000, 09/19-10/20 | American Express Hilton Aspire, $3,100, 09/19-12/20 | Citi secured, $200, 04/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Self Lender secured $500 loan, 04/19-01/20 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 06/19-08/19.
Note: My signature is updated frequently, and updates appear on all instances of my signature including on old posts.
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@KJinNC wrote:

I have a Delta Gold card. I want a Delta Platinum card, partly for the welcome offer, but also for the annual companion certificate. The current welcome offer ends this spring. I doubt I will get an invitation to upgrade my Delta Gold card by then, because I've only had it since August.

 

So my question mainly amounts to: will Amex hold it against me if I cancel the Gold card a month after the AF hits in August? It wouldn't be cost-effective to keep both cards, since the benefits overlap and the AFs stack. Thanks!


Potentially. Some suggest keeping Amex cards for at least 2 years if you want to be eligible for bonuses in the near future. But closing in August 2020 won't stop you from getting the Delta Platinum bonus now.

 

A lot can depend on your overall Amex spend.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 2 of 35
Flyingifr
Established Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum

I upgraded from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum on my 1 year anniversary of the Gold card. I got a new Minimum Spend bonus and all the Platinum benefits. Amex even reversed the Gold card Annual fee they charged me. Ask them, the worst thing they can do is say "no".

 

BTW, I run all my household spending through the Platinum Card so I get a 50% boost in points every month for having 30 transactions (I would be spending this money anyway, and with my credit union debit card I got nothing from them as a reward). I pay off the card every weekend. My signup to Platinum was just a couple of days before the switch over in benefits, so I charged a $2100 airline ticket to the Platinum card to get the 35,000 points under the old benefits and I am also eligible for the 100,000 points for $2,000 minimum spend in the first 90 days of the new benefits which will pay for a cruise I have already booked but not yet paid for. 135,000 points is not a bad bonus for $4,200 in spend in 3 months.

4/1/2017 EQ 579 TU 595 EX588
9/20/2018 EQ 810 TU 807 EX 795
6/12/19 EQ 820 TU /789 EX 793
12/13/2019 EQ 835 TU 813 EX 810 Finally made it into the 800 club on all 3 Bureaus - only took 25 years.
8/29/2020 EX 776 EQ 761 TU 768 - I paid off my mortgage and car loan and am debt free forever, and FICO threw me out of the 800 club as a reward
Message 3 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@Flyingifr wrote:

I upgraded from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum on my 1 year anniversary of the Gold card. I got a new Minimum Spend bonus and all the Platinum benefits. Amex even reversed the Gold card Annual fee they charged me. Ask them, the worst thing they can do is say "no".

 

BTW, I run all my household spending through the Platinum Card so I get a 50% boost in points every month for having 30 transactions (I would be spending this money anyway, and with my credit union debit card I got nothing from them as a reward). I pay off the card every weekend. My signup to Platinum was just a couple of days before the switch over in benefits, so I charged a $2100 airline ticket to the Platinum card to get the 35,000 points under the old benefits and I am also eligible for the 100,000 points for $2,000 minimum spend in the first 90 days of the new benefits which will pay for a cruise I have already booked but not yet paid for. 135,000 points is not a bad bonus for $4,200 in spend in 3 months.


I'm really confused. I thought the only 30-transaction card was the EveryDay Preferred.

The Business Platinum MR-earning charge card gives 1.5x on transactions over $5k, or at least used to.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 4 of 35
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum

If I could upgrade now, it would be fair to pay back the SUB I got for Delta Gold or take it out of the new SUB. I don't remember what it was. 35,000 miles or whatever the standard offer was last August. That would be ok with me, but I don't know if they have the ability to do that. So, I suspect they may refuse until the 1-year anniversary. But hey, I'll ask.


FICO Resilience Index: 69. Cards: 10/24, 3/12, 3/6. Accounts including loans: 12/24, 4/12, 4/6. At first accidentally, later deliberately, I used what I call the "thick-start" build method, which leads to heavy credit-seeking for a while with the goal of coming out of it without needing to build a thin profile for years. There are pros and cons. Thread describing method
Cards (oldest to newest)


Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan

Card CLs total $151,100, not counting the AU card. The AU card brings the total to $177,600. In 03/19, card CLs totaled $0.
CU and bank memberships: Coastal Credit Union, joined 1987, direct deposit; PenFed, joined 2019; Navy Federal, joined 2020; USAA, joined 2020; Chase Bank, joined 2020. Best: Coastal, worst: NFCU. I have had weird Keystone Kops customer service problems with NFCU several times, despite their reputation here.

Closed but still on reports: American Express Gold, NPSL, 08/19-06/21 | American Express Delta Gold, $1,000, 09/19-10/20 | American Express Hilton Aspire, $3,100, 09/19-12/20 | Citi secured, $200, 04/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Self Lender secured $500 loan, 04/19-01/20 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 06/19-08/19.
Note: My signature is updated frequently, and updates appear on all instances of my signature including on old posts.
Message 5 of 35
Flyingifr
Established Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@wasCB14 wrote:

@Flyingifr wrote:

I upgraded from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum on my 1 year anniversary of the Gold card. I got a new Minimum Spend bonus and all the Platinum benefits. Amex even reversed the Gold card Annual fee they charged me. Ask them, the worst thing they can do is say "no".

 

BTW, I run all my household spending through the Platinum Card so I get a 50% boost in points every month for having 30 transactions (I would be spending this money anyway, and with my credit union debit card I got nothing from them as a reward). I pay off the card every weekend. My signup to Platinum was just a couple of days before the switch over in benefits, so I charged a $2100 airline ticket to the Platinum card to get the 35,000 points under the old benefits and I am also eligible for the 100,000 points for $2,000 minimum spend in the first 90 days of the new benefits which will pay for a cruise I have already booked but not yet paid for. 135,000 points is not a bad bonus for $4,200 in spend in 3 months.


I'm really confused. I thought the only 30-transaction card was the EveryDay Preferred.

The Business Platinum MR-earning charge card gives 1.5x on transactions over $5k, or at least used to.


In the new rules (which became effective January 30) Delta Platinum does 150% points if you have 30 or more transactions in a billing period. When I had the gold card It was 110% for 20 transactions. Knowing I could do 30 every month is one reason I upgraded (there are lots more).

4/1/2017 EQ 579 TU 595 EX588
9/20/2018 EQ 810 TU 807 EX 795
6/12/19 EQ 820 TU /789 EX 793
12/13/2019 EQ 835 TU 813 EX 810 Finally made it into the 800 club on all 3 Bureaus - only took 25 years.
8/29/2020 EX 776 EQ 761 TU 768 - I paid off my mortgage and car loan and am debt free forever, and FICO threw me out of the 800 club as a reward
Message 6 of 35
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@wasCB14 wrote:

@KJinNC wrote:

I have a Delta Gold card. I want a Delta Platinum card, partly for the welcome offer, but also for the annual companion certificate. The current welcome offer ends this spring. I doubt I will get an invitation to upgrade my Delta Gold card by then, because I've only had it since August.

 

So my question mainly amounts to: will Amex hold it against me if I cancel the Gold card a month after the AF hits in August? It wouldn't be cost-effective to keep both cards, since the benefits overlap and the AFs stack. Thanks!


Potentially. Some suggest keeping Amex cards for at least 2 years if you want to be eligible for bonuses in the near future. But closing in August 2020 won't stop you from getting the Delta Platinum bonus now.

 

A lot can depend on your overall Amex spend.


I agree with this completely.  If anything, it will impact future Amex welcome offers.  You would not have an upgrade offer until after August, and upgrade bonuses are usually quite small compared to new card offers.  I'd go for the Platinum SkyMiles now while the welcome offer is incredible.

Message 7 of 35
Flyingifr
Established Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@KJinNC wrote:

If I could upgrade now, it would be fair to pay back the SUB I got for Delta Gold or take it out of the new SUB. I don't remember what it was. 35,000 miles or whatever the standard offer was last August. That would be ok with me, but I don't know if they have the ability to do that. So, I suspect they may refuse until the 1-year anniversary. But hey, I'll ask.



@KJinNC wrote:

If I could upgrade now, it would be fair to pay back the SUB I got for Delta Gold or take it out of the new SUB. I don't remember what it was. 35,000 miles or whatever the standard offer was last August. That would be ok with me, but I don't know if they have the ability to do that. So, I suspect they may refuse until the 1-year anniversary. But hey, I'll ask.


I think the difference is the rollout of new benefits for the various cards, enticing new cardholders and also trying to entice current cardholders to upgrade. I got the SUB for the Platinum card under the old benefits last month and I confirmed that because of the rollout of the new benefits and I am still within the first 90 days of having the Platinum card I also qualify for the new SUB. If they are not holding this rollout and you ask on your own, you get less. When they are trying to get you to jump, you get more.

4/1/2017 EQ 579 TU 595 EX588
9/20/2018 EQ 810 TU 807 EX 795
6/12/19 EQ 820 TU /789 EX 793
12/13/2019 EQ 835 TU 813 EX 810 Finally made it into the 800 club on all 3 Bureaus - only took 25 years.
8/29/2020 EX 776 EQ 761 TU 768 - I paid off my mortgage and car loan and am debt free forever, and FICO threw me out of the 800 club as a reward
Message 8 of 35
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@Flyingifr wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Flyingifr wrote:

I upgraded from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum on my 1 year anniversary of the Gold card. I got a new Minimum Spend bonus and all the Platinum benefits. Amex even reversed the Gold card Annual fee they charged me. Ask them, the worst thing they can do is say "no".

 

BTW, I run all my household spending through the Platinum Card so I get a 50% boost in points every month for having 30 transactions (I would be spending this money anyway, and with my credit union debit card I got nothing from them as a reward). I pay off the card every weekend. My signup to Platinum was just a couple of days before the switch over in benefits, so I charged a $2100 airline ticket to the Platinum card to get the 35,000 points under the old benefits and I am also eligible for the 100,000 points for $2,000 minimum spend in the first 90 days of the new benefits which will pay for a cruise I have already booked but not yet paid for. 135,000 points is not a bad bonus for $4,200 in spend in 3 months.


I'm really confused. I thought the only 30-transaction card was the EveryDay Preferred.

The Business Platinum MR-earning charge card gives 1.5x on transactions over $5k, or at least used to.


In the new rules (which became effective January 30) Delta Platinum does 150% points if you have 30 or more transactions in a billing period. When I had the gold card It was 110% for 20 transactions. Knowing I could do 30 every month is one reason I upgraded (there are lots more).


You have completely lost me as well.  I don't recall seeing this change anywhere.  It sounds like you are describing the Amex EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred cards.  The only changes I am aware of offering a bonus for transactions like that is that the SkyMiles Platinum Business now earns 1.5 miles per $ on purchases over $5000 like the Platinum Business charge card, and you will earn 1.5 miles on all purchases after the first $150,000 per year on the Delta Reserve Business card.

 

And am I reading that correctly that you received a new cardholder bonus for an upgrade?  You don't mean that you closed the Gold and opened a new Platinum?

Message 9 of 35
Flyingifr
Established Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum


@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Flyingifr wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Flyingifr wrote:

I upgraded from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum on my 1 year anniversary of the Gold card. I got a new Minimum Spend bonus and all the Platinum benefits. Amex even reversed the Gold card Annual fee they charged me. Ask them, the worst thing they can do is say "no".

 

BTW, I run all my household spending through the Platinum Card so I get a 50% boost in points every month for having 30 transactions (I would be spending this money anyway, and with my credit union debit card I got nothing from them as a reward). I pay off the card every weekend. My signup to Platinum was just a couple of days before the switch over in benefits, so I charged a $2100 airline ticket to the Platinum card to get the 35,000 points under the old benefits and I am also eligible for the 100,000 points for $2,000 minimum spend in the first 90 days of the new benefits which will pay for a cruise I have already booked but not yet paid for. 135,000 points is not a bad bonus for $4,200 in spend in 3 months.


I'm really confused. I thought the only 30-transaction card was the EveryDay Preferred.

The Business Platinum MR-earning charge card gives 1.5x on transactions over $5k, or at least used to.


In the new rules (which became effective January 30) Delta Platinum does 150% points if you have 30 or more transactions in a billing period. When I had the gold card It was 110% for 20 transactions. Knowing I could do 30 every month is one reason I upgraded (there are lots more).


You have completely lost me as well.  I don't recall seeing this change anywhere.  It sounds like you are describing the Amex EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred cards.  The only changes I am aware of offering a bonus for transactions like that is that the SkyMiles Platinum Business now earns 1.5 miles per $ on purchases over $5000 like the Platinum Business charge card, and you will earn 1.5 miles on all purchases after the first $150,000 per year on the Delta Reserve Business card.

 

And am I reading that correctly that you received a new cardholder bonus for an upgrade?  You don't mean that you closed the Gold and opened a new Platinum?


Yes, it was an Upgrade because the points I had on the Gold card carried over to the Platinum. Yes, it was the DELTA PLATINUM, not the Everyday or Everyday Preferred cards. Not needing both cards (Delta Gold and Delta Platinum, which would essentially be competing with each other on the monthly transaction boost), I later cancelled the Gold, but not until after I recommended my wife to get the Delta Gold, for which I got 10,000 points for referring her and she gets 60,000 on a $1,000 minimum spend which will be spent on tickets to London to be used in September. The 1.5 miles is on all purchases as long as I use the card 30 times in a billing month, regardless of monthly or annual spend. I am unclear if the 1.5 is carried over to the purchases that pay 3x (Delta travel, US Supermarkets and worldwide restaurants) or not but I will find out soon enough. I also have the Everyday card but the benefits of the Delta Platinum are so superior that I have now relegated that to my sock drawer. I must admit, Amex did a very poor job of advertising this on their web site, but Delta did a great job of advertising it on theirs.

4/1/2017 EQ 579 TU 595 EX588
9/20/2018 EQ 810 TU 807 EX 795
6/12/19 EQ 820 TU /789 EX 793
12/13/2019 EQ 835 TU 813 EX 810 Finally made it into the 800 club on all 3 Bureaus - only took 25 years.
8/29/2020 EX 776 EQ 761 TU 768 - I paid off my mortgage and car loan and am debt free forever, and FICO threw me out of the 800 club as a reward
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.