Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum

tag
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: Delta Gold vs Delta Platinum

I'm not as privied to the years of history or experience as to when Delta has had offerings, by which I'd love to make an analytical guess in my perfect world.  That being said, I did a little googling and it seems like Delta has had limited time offerings on Amex cards at least 1x annually which leads me to believe this would be it until either Winter 20' or Spring 21':

• Dec 17'
    • Delta Gold 
  • Sept 18'
    • Delta Gold - 60k/$3k
    • Delta Plat - 70k/$3k/10k MQM
  • Aug/Sept 19'
    • Delta Gold - 60k/$2k
    • Delta Plat - 75k/$3k/5 MQM
    • Delta Res - 75k/$5k/10 MQM
  • Jan/Feb 20' - Presently Active

Message 31 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Cred4All wrote:

I'm not as privied to the years of history or experience as to when Delta has had offerings, by which I'd love to make an analytical guess in my perfect world.  That being said, I did a little googling and it seems like Delta has had limited time offerings on Amex cards at least 1x annually which leads me to believe this would be it until either Winter 20' or Spring 21':

• Dec 17'
    • Delta Gold 
  • Sept 18'
    • Delta Gold - 60k/$3k
    • Delta Plat - 70k/$3k/10k MQM
  • Aug/Sept 19'
    • Delta Gold - 60k/$2k
    • Delta Plat - 75k/$3k/5 MQM
    • Delta Res - 75k/$5k/10 MQM
  • Jan/Feb 20' - Presently Active

Some offers have included cash statement credits for a Delta purchase, in addition to miles.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 32 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread (certainly have in others) that offers from Amex for these cards usually go in the pattern of:

High public offer, same or meh referral offer.

High referral offer, meh public offer.

Meh offers all around.

Repeat the pattern.

As we just wrapped up a meh public offer with a huge referral offer, it was a little surprising that the relaunch immediately brought about record or near-record public AND referral offers.  No clue what Amex will do next, but history would suggest that when these offers end, they will go back to about half of what they are now with high referral offers available.

Offers targeted directly from Delta usually have a large statement credit offer in addition to lackluster SkyMiles offers.  In pure value of miles earned plus dollars, these are not as good as the typical Amex offers.

Quite often, Amex adds a $50 for Gold or $100 for Platinum statement credit issued with your first Delta purchase in XX days.

Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my personal opinion even if you just fly Delta once per year & use the companion certificate you'd get approximately (at least) perks valued at the Delta Reserve annual fee of 550. Especially if you apply for the TSA pre check thing. The Platinum Delta in my opinion is WAY better than the Reserve. Earn more free flights for less. Only main difference is the first class / comfort plus companion certificate & Sky Club access. I thought Delta Diamond & 360 Medallion Members wouldn't need that card for using their choice benefit for Sky Club access. 

Message 34 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my personal opinion even if you just fly Delta once per year & use the companion certificate you'd get approximately (at least) perks valued at the Delta Reserve annual fee of 550. Especially if you apply for the TSA pre check thing. The Platinum Delta in my opinion is WAY better than the Reserve. Earn more free flights for less. Only main difference is the first class / comfort plus companion certificate & Sky Club access. I thought Delta Diamond & 360 Medallion Members wouldn't need that card for using their choice benefit for Sky Club access. 

The other big difference is the amount of MQMs awarded for annual spend on the cards.  Platinum is 10k MQMs at each level of spend: $25k/$50k/$75k/$100k, while Reserve is 15k MQMs at each level of spend: $30k/$60k/$90k/$120k.  That can be a huge difference if it means jumping up a Medallion level.

For many of us that have Delta Reserve, the SkyClub access isn't even a consideration on this card as it's redundant if you already have any variety of the American Express Platinum or Centurion cards.  For Diamond and 360 Medallion members, I think using a choice benefit for SkyClub membership (and especially two of them for SkyClub Executive membership) is generally a poor value when compared to snagging additional GUCs, or even RUCs, as those can be worth thousands of dollars.

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.