Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Platinum vs Reserve

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Platinum vs Reserve

I have the platinum delta card right now but was thinking since every other year me and my family take a trip overseas would it be better for myself to upgrade to the reserve card so i can get the free companion ticket for overseas travel. We will us the off year ticket to go somewhere in the USA like Florida or California so flying from chicago we could use the 1st class free ticket.
Due to the cost of the reserve card do you also think my wife should get the reserve card if I upgrade mine.
Thanks for any input.
We have between us 250 plus in CC limits and have the Chase Ritz and the Chase Reserve as our other MAJOR cards. We have 6 others also but no need to go into that detail right now the AFs are not a big deal im just wondering if its worth it just for the free yearly tickets.
Thanks for any comments
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Platinum vs Reserve

wrote:
I have the platinum delta card right now but was thinking since every other year me and my family take a trip overseas would it be better for myself to upgrade to the reserve card so i can get the free companion ticket for overseas travel. We will us the off year ticket to go somewhere in the USA like Florida or California so flying from chicago we could use the 1st class free ticket.
Due to the cost of the reserve card do you also think my wife should get the reserve card if I upgrade mine.
Thanks for any input.
We have between us 250 plus in CC limits and have the Chase Ritz and the Chase Reserve as our other MAJOR cards. We have 6 others also but no need to go into that detail right now the AFs are not a big deal im just wondering if its worth it just for the free yearly tickets.
Thanks for any comments

Unfortunately, the Delta Reserve only works on domestic first class, so it wont do you any good on the overseas travel. IMHO I dont think there's a great enough difference between service in domestic first class and economy/Delta Comfort + to warrant the $450 AF if thats the main reason you want the card. If you like the yearly flight certificates, I'd just keep the Delta Plat, for the reason above, for a lower AF.

Message 2 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For transcon First Class it may be worth the additional amount, but for short hops where you’re lucky to even get a drink service perhaps not. The SkyClub membership does of course have its value, and with enough spend you could get FO without even flying, or easily put GM within reach.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:
Thanks for any input.
Thanks for any comments

Unfortunately, the Delta Reserve only works on domestic first class, so it wont do you any good on the overseas travel. IMHO I dont think there's a great enough difference between service in domestic first class and economy/Delta Comfort + to warrant the $450 AF if thats the main reason you want the card. If you like the yearly flight certificates, I'd just keep the Delta Plat, for the reason above, for a lower AF.

I think the OP meant use the free domestic ticket for the first leg within the U.S, and then pay for the remaining tickets that travel from point B to C and then back again. 

Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

No, OP stated they wanted to use overseas companion ticket (which does not exist) every other year and domestic companion ticket on the in-between years. The only difference in the companion tickets is that Platinum is Main Cabin only domestic ticket, whereas Reserve is any cabin domestic.

On a side note, piecing together multiple itineraries for an international trip is risky. If you run into a delay or cancel situation, the 2nd ticket would not fall under the contract of carriage and it’s questionable whether you would be reaccommated for missing your flight (rather than missing a connection).

Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

Not only can you not use a Delta companion ticket for international, it is Continental 48 meaning no Alaska or Hawaii. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoever can close this out that would be great. Yeah I though there was a USA 1st class OR (main cabin) free companion ticket for overseas with the reserve. But seeing as that is NOT the case the reserve is not in my future.
Thanks for the help.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.