Delta SKYMILES Amex - Approved!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Delta SKYMILES Amex - Approved!

@RockinRay wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ray,

Congrats!!! Smiley Happy I didn't fly Delta. I would have gotten this card instead of Hilton HHonors Amex.  I usually fly United because they have direct flight to LA. Now you have to choose between Southwest and Delta.  Smiley Very Happy

Ron.

Thanks Ron!

I am using the Chase Southwest card for a small side business that I run. The goal now for these miles is to take my youngest daughter to Florida for her senior spring break year after next. I have made the spend on the Chase card and now have 50k points. We will need about 90k point to get us all to FLL and I have a year and a half to get that done.

We can do that I think...

I have not decided it the Delta card is long-term. The free first bag will offset most of the AF if 4 of use travel so it might be worth keeping around. Not sure.

Now I just have to figure out how to play the Cap One Venture Siggy Visa to make sure I get the best advantage from it...

I think you have a year to decide because it has no AF for the first year.  I want to get United Visa from Chase. It would save my baggage fee.  Now I have US Bank Cash + Visa Signature, Travel Rewards and Barclays Travelocity. I have so many cards to use for traveling.  May be I converted one of my Chase Card into one. I don't know if they can do that.

Ron.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RockinRay wrote:

They gave me $5k CL bringing my total Amex CL along with my BCE to $27,200.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Smiley Happy 

Message 12 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

Congrats Ray!  As a fellow Minnesotan, I use Delta almost exclusively, and have reaped huge mileage rewards from AMEX Delta card.  The miles add up fast if you use the card alot!  I primarily use my miles to upgrade a standard economy ticket to First Class.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 13 of 17
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

We are taking the family on a cruise just before Christmas this year and decided we wanted to try to fly from MSP to MIA for free.

Both my wife and I app'd for the Delta Amex card and we were both instant approved!

30k miles with a $500 spend in 90 days.

They gave me $5k CL bringing my total Amex CL along with my BCE to $27,200. I will try for the 3x bump at 61 days. But I also get the backdate to 1979 which is awesome!

I am not sure what my wife has for Cl, we will call tonight or tomorrow to find out.

Not sure of this card will be a long-term keeper, but the mileage bonus gives us enough miles to get the four of us to Miami and back for free!

Time for the happy dance!  Smiley Very Happy

Congrats Ray! Since I fly Delta most of the time, I decided to apply for the Amex Delta Reserve card. It's my favorite Amex card.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 14 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Grats!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 15 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

I have not decided it the Delta card is long-term. The free first bag will offset most of the AF if 4 of use travel so it might be worth keeping around. Not sure.

We've had the Delta AmEx for a few years and love it. We make the annual fee back in savings with the perk of not paying for checked bags. That perk alone is worth it....let alone the miles that add up. It hurts whenever we have to pay for bags on another airline. What a waste of money.

Did you get a companion ticket with your Delta AmEx? That's also a big savings for us. Every year someone flies for free based on that companion certificate. That saves hundreds of dollars.

Whenever we shop online we shop through Skymiles Shopping if possible. You often get opportunities such as 2x, 3x, 5x miles etc. They have most of the companies we buy through anyway, so that's a nice mileage perk. Don't forget to check that out next time you buy online.

I'm like you....when I got the card and the new member bonuses, I didn't know if I'd keep the card or not. Ends up it is absolutely our go-to card for most of what we do. We use a different card for gas (5% back) and a different card for grocery stores (3% back), and we play the Discover 5% game for the changing categories. Otherwise it's our Delta AmEx.

Message 16 of 17
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Jazzzy wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

We've had the Delta AmEx for a few years and love it. We make the annual fee back in savings with the perk of not paying for checked bags. That perk alone is worth it....let alone the miles that add up. It hurts whenever we have to pay for bags on another airline. What a waste of money.

Did you get a companion ticket with your Delta AmEx? That's also a big savings for us. Every year someone flies for free based on that companion certificate. That saves hundreds of dollars.

Whenever we shop online we shop through Skymiles Shopping if possible. You often get opportunities such as 2x, 3x, 5x miles etc. They have most of the companies we buy through anyway, so that's a nice mileage perk. Don't forget to check that out next time you buy online.

I'm like you....when I got the card and the new member bonuses, I didn't know if I'd keep the card or not. Ends up it is absolutely our go-to card for most of what we do. We use a different card for gas (5% back) and a different card for grocery stores (3% back), and we play the Discover 5% game for the changing categories. Otherwise it's our Delta AmEx.

All excellent points! Thank you for sharing. Looks like I do need to look further in to and get a better understanding of what this card is all about.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.