Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Skymiles Card

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Delta Skymiles Card

I know right, I'm already trying to justify upgrading to the reserve card when my next AF comes due! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 26
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

the Gold card for 95$ is known to be lacking in benefits (unless you fly often and use the free bags) on the other hand the Platinum Skymiles card for 150$ offers a free economy companion pass each year.  This year alone this saved me 580$ on a flight that I used the pass to get my wife a free ticket and 100.00 in baggage charges on that flight.

580 + 100 = 680 - 150AF = 5304 in net savings. 

so in summary if you fly enough to justify using the card it can be very beneficial.

+1. The gold used to offer a companion ticket, but that was removed in the past 12 months.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 26
USF813
Frequent Contributor

There's a classic base version of the Delta Amex, with a $55 annual fee. You could always downgrade to this one at the end of the first year. You don't get a free bag but you do earn miles. My personal opinion is to only cash miles in for first or business class, where checked bags are free to begin with.
Message 13 of 26
mhender15

The AF on that one seems steep! Any extra benefits that make it worth it?

Message 14 of 26
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

the Gold card for 95$ is known to be lacking in benefits (unless you fly often and use the free bags) on the other hand the Platinum Skymiles card for 150$ offers a free economy companion pass each year.  This year alone this saved me 580$ on a flight that I used the pass to get my wife a free ticket and 100.00 in baggage charges on that flight.

580 + 100 = 680 - 150AF = 5304 in net savings. 

so in summary if you fly enough to justify using the card it can be very beneficial.

+1. The gold used to offer a companion ticket, but that was removed in the past 12 months.

Yep, but it was 99$ to use, so if you included the 95$ annual fee the Gold card was actually more expensive then the platinum Smiley Wink

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 15 of 26
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@mhender15 wrote:

The AF on that one seems steep! Any extra benefits that make it worth it?

SkyClub access, additional MQM earning ability.  Also at one point you could use the SkyPriority lines but I believe that went away, and if you are a medallion you have upgrade preference over someone with the same status flying in the same fare class as you.

Message 16 of 26
mhender15

That's a good point @ryanbush! I see many complain of these service being removed, but if it cost $99 to use anyway, then going to Platinum seems better! Maybe they don't qualify for Platinum or they are complaining just to complain Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@mhender15 wrote:

@Anonymous's a good point @ryanbush! I see many complain of these service being removed, but if it cost $99 to use anyway, then going to Platinum seems better! Maybe they don't qualify for Platinum or they are complaining just to complain Smiley Happy

If you quality for Gold you should qualify for Platinum.

Message 18 of 26
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@ryanbush,

Are there any restrictions on the companion pass? or is it valid for all 50 states travel?

Message 19 of 26
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

@ryanbush,

Are there any restrictions on the companion pass? or is it valid for all 50 states travel?

It's restricted to certain fares (L,U,T I believe) as such it is only good for economy (Delta Reserve AMEX is good for Business Class)

I know it is good for domestic, not sure wether it is 48 or all 50.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.