Did you mean: 

Delta Skymiles Card

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Delta Skymiles Card

@ryanbush wrote:

@mhender15 wrote:

The AF on that one seems steep! Any extra benefits that make it worth it?

SkyClub access, additional MQM earning ability.  Also at one point you could use the SkyPriority lines but I believe that went away, and if you are a medallion you have upgrade preference over someone with the same status flying in the same fare class as you.

You talking about the Reserve? If you can spend heavy it's worth the AF (heavy = $60,000 in one year). If you can't make that spend it's really not worth the AF. 

I just topped $60K spend on the card this year and got my mileage and MQM bonuses. 15K miles and MQM at $30K spend and another 15K miles and MQM at $60K spend. That more than bumped me one medallion level. You can do the same with the Platinum, the bonuses are just lower. For $25K spend you get 10K miles and MQM and at $50K you get another 10K miles and MQM. I have hit both spend limits so those two cards are pretty much done for the year and I was boosted from Silver to Platinum Medallion without needing to fly a single mile. I did fly so I could reach Diamond if I had a busy fall or made a few mileage runs. With these cards it's a good chance I get upgrades when buying coach seats now that I am at Platinum and flying out of a non Delta hub. From a Delta hub I'm boned by all the Diamonds who also have this card. 

The Reserve offers Delta Lounge access like you noted and comes with an annual companion pass good for First Class seating as well. The companion pass certainly could be worth the AF alone but you get it the SECOND year not the first as it's on renewal. 

Message 21 of 26
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@mhender15 wrote:

The AF on that one seems steep! Any extra benefits that make it worth it?

SkyClub access, additional MQM earning ability.  Also at one point you could use the SkyPriority lines but I believe that went away, and if you are a medallion you have upgrade preference over someone with the same status flying in the same fare class as you.

You talking about the Reserve? If you can spend heavy it's worth the AF (heavy = $60,000 in one year). If you can't make that spend it's really not worth the AF. 

I just topped $60K spend on the card this year and got my mileage and MQM bonuses. 15K miles and MQM at $30K spend and another 15K miles and MQM at $60K spend. That more than bumped me one medallion level. You can do the same with the Platinum, the bonuses are just lower. For $25K spend you get 10K miles and MQM and at $50K you get another 10K miles and MQM. I have hit both spend limits so those two cards are pretty much done for the year and I was boosted from Silver to Platinum Medallion without needing to fly a single mile. I did fly so I could reach Diamond if I had a busy fall or made a few mileage runs. With these cards it's a good chance I get upgrades when buying coach seats now that I am at Platinum and flying out of a non Delta hub. From a Delta hub I'm boned by all the Diamonds who also have this card. 

The Reserve offers Delta Lounge access like you noted and comes with an annual companion pass good for First Class seating as well. The companion pass certainly could be worth the AF alone but you get it the SECOND year not the first as it's on renewal. 

Yes I was speaking about the reserve, we hit both bonuses on your Business Reserve card as well.

We were talking about upgrading from the Gold to the Platinum, since you have to wait a year to upgrade anyway he would get the companion pass upon upgrade.

Upgrading from Gold to Platinum at the 1yr mark you will get the companion pass immediatly, or at least that was my experience.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 22 of 26
devastatah
New Contributor

Just Approved for Delta Skymiles Card

Just appd approved online. Had a Secured USAA card Amex which I just cancelled as the CD that secured it was maturing. I am in gardening mode for at least the next 24 months but I don't see any other cards that I want right now. Appd for Dillards but got the 7-10 days response, called backdoor and got same response which leads me to believe it was a reject.  I will just try and increase my limits with what I have currently. Approved with a 656 EQ FICO (which was my lowest) 685 TU, 693 EXP. Was trying to get one thru USAA but they wouldn't approve so I pulled the trigger on the AmEx site and got an instant. Now to make it grow and trade up for a better card eventually. Not great credit scores but a few years out of divorce and rehabing students loans I am at least making progress. I was able to VA loan a home last year and get a vehicle as well so I am in "Sit Down" mode for sure to get some of these inquires to fall off. The only thing left in my sites right now is trying to convert my WalMart card to a Discover (maybe) I shop there often so the store card gets a lot of use and then PIF every month.

Navy Fed Sig Visa 14K, Navy Fed NRewards MC 4K, WalMart 3K, Chase Mil Star MC 2500, MilStar 4450, USAA Sec MC 500, AmEx Gold Sky Miles ?

AmEx Platinum NPSL, AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 10K, Penfed Defender AmEx 5K, BankAmericard MC 14k, BoA Travel Rewards 18k, Penfed Thrifty Credit Service 500.00 Blispay Visa 7.5k,
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
Penfed Gold Visa 19K, Lowes 35K, NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 19K, WalMart 20K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, Citi Simplicity $8,800, BarclayCard Rewards MC 11K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Citi Dia Pref Visa $9.7K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K, , Chase Freedom 3.5K, Chase Amazon Visa 1.6k

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 735 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax Advantage Pull 740 Sept 2016
Message 23 of 26
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Devastatah welcome to the forums however your post is a little out of this thread topic.
Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 24 of 26
devastatah
New Contributor

Can a mod move to the appropriate place? My apologies I was looking in multiple forums

AmEx Platinum NPSL, AmEx Gold Delta 22K, AmEx Everyday 10K, Penfed Defender AmEx 5K, BankAmericard MC 14k, BoA Travel Rewards 18k, Penfed Thrifty Credit Service 500.00 Blispay Visa 7.5k,
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa - 22K, NFCU Plat MC - 22K
Penfed Gold Visa 19K, Lowes 35K, NFCU Visa 14K, NFCU MC 13K, NFCU NavChek LOC - 15K
Discover It 19K, WalMart 20K, Bank of Amer MC 10K, Citi Simplicity $8,800, BarclayCard Rewards MC 11K, AAFES Mil Star 8.1K, Citi Dia Pref Visa $9.7K, USAA Rate Adv MC 7K, , Chase Freedom 3.5K, Chase Amazon Visa 1.6k

724 Discover FICO Nov 14, 735 WalMart FICO Nov 14, Equifax Advantage Pull 740 Sept 2016
Message 25 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I LOVE MY Delta Gold Skymiles Amex!
I've gotten about $1000 worth of free stuff i.e. $700 plane ticket, free $50 cr, extra 5,000 points, free night at the Renaissance, AND two or three free checked bags!
That's enough savings for ten years of annual fees.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.