Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta

tag
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Delta

Okay, so.... Where do i begin...

I flew with Delta atleast 4 times since i last posted on here and i just had my most horrible experience. I had an economy comfort seat so i was like okay... I will just go up to the counter to upgrade to first class. So when i went to ask the person if i can upgrade to first class he said they arent doing free upgrades anymore... So when i was like okayyy... How much will it be? and he said 350$. So i whipped out my Delta Reserve card and did the exchange and when i did that he was like "WOAH, that is a nice card. A VERY NICE CARD". He was super surprised and he then proceeded to say that he didnt know i was a cardholder and thought i was 15 years old. He then said they were having a promotion and upgraded me for 100$. That was really nice of them.. But what really threw me off was that they were cherry picking, now that was very uncool.

Sorry i just come here to rant these days.

Who do you guys fly with??

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta

@Gornet wrote:

I flew with Delta atleast 4 times since i last posted on here and i just had my most horrible experience. I had an economy comfort seat so i was like okay... I will just go up to the counter to upgrade to first class. So when i went to ask the person if i can upgrade to first class he said they arent doing free upgrades anymore... So when i was like okayyy... How much will it be? and he said 350$. So i whipped out my Delta Reserve card and did the exchange and when i did that he was like "WOAH, that is a nice card. A VERY NICE CARD". He was super surprised and he then proceeded to say that he didnt know i was a cardholder and thought i was 15 years old. He then said they were having a promotion and upgraded me for 100$. That was really nice of them.. But what really threw me off was that they were cherry picking, now that was very uncool.

Wow.. That is not cool. I will be flying them soon and they better not pull that with.  Very unprofessional and sorry about it.

Message 2 of 9
Involver
Valued Contributor

That's ridiculous and terrible customer service.

Message 3 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@yesi-ts-me wrote:

@Gornet wrote:

Wow.. That is not cool. I will be flying them soon and they better not pull that with.  Very unprofessional and sorry about it.

If i have an choice i would never fly domestic airlines aka AA, Delta, UAL etc. I would rather fly Jet Blue or virgin america if i were to fly domestically? As far as flying to far east i think i would fly cathay pacific, korean air or ANA. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 9
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

I fly Delta and never seen this behavior....I would be calling them about his behavior 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 5 of 9
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

Hmmm ... I fly Delta alot, (100K + miles this year), and your experience is definitely outside the norm, IME.  I have never heard of a promotional upgrade for $100 ... $350 would be about the norm.  Honestly if that was widespread it woud anger a lot of Medallion members.  Personally I wouldn't let one experience with a gate agent put me off an airline, I'd look at the big picture.

I fly Delta 80% of the time .. but sometimes I have to fly another carrier due to flights times, price etc.  Even though DL has made some changes to their loyalty program to my detriment, overall I far prefer the DL product over other carriers.  Thier planes are in better shape than average.  The Sky Club is superior to the Admirals Club (been foever since I was in a United club, so I can't compare).  The cabin service is better IME.  So although DL is far from perfect, overall it suits my needs better than it's competitors.

Message 6 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@Gornet wrote:

Hmmm ... I fly Delta alot, (100K + miles this year), and your experience is definitely outside the norm, IME.  I have never heard of a promotional upgrade for $100 ... $350 would be about the norm.  Honestly if that was widespread it woud anger a lot of Medallion members.  Personally I wouldn't let one experience with a gate agent put me off an airline, I'd look at the big picture.

I fly Delta 80% of the time .. but sometimes I have to fly another carrier due to flights times, price etc.  Even though DL has made some changes to their loyalty program to my detriment, overall I far prefer the DL product over other carriers.  Thier planes are in better shape than average.  The Sky Club is superior to the Admirals Club (been foever since I was in a United club, so I can't compare).  The cabin service is better IME.  So although DL is far from perfect, overall it suits my needs better than it's competitors.

+1

Message 7 of 9
nyancat
Established Contributor

Definitely complain about that one. Not okay at all...
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 8 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@Gornet wrote:

+1

+!

I've had good experiences on Delta also.

They do screw down the Medalion benefits for us who just scrape in with benefits, so the Delta AMEX card is a little helper.

Clarifying question for the OP, did you pay for this original airline ticket with the Delta Reserve card? If you did, I think it flags it in their system. Having the Reserve card sounds like it was a benefit in this case. Glad you got the upgrade for cheap. That's an interesting data point.

I'd cut the gate agent some slack, They are usually overworked with pestering customers who want their free first class upgrade. I'm not sure what cherry picking refers to either, they're just trying to juggle all the seats on a short timeline.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.