Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denials For Credit You Did Not Expect

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denials For Credit You Did Not Expect

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Though Synchrony is believed to be easy to get that isnt always the case. Sometimes they actually do look at more than your score. And some cards are just plain hard to cli. In my experience my Pep Boys card is like trying to move heaven and earth while chained to a recliner. Who woulda thunkSmiley Wink

AJC, you know that Marvel MC is now in my wishlist. May I ask, how long of a history should one have to qualify for this card. It's actually one of the two cards that is on my wishlist. It is either the Marvel or the Amazon Prime Visa since I am a prime member. But Marvel's 3% on dining and entertainment fits my type of spend. So I was leaning on applying for it this December. But worried that I might get denied.

Message 51 of 63
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Cap One for me.  I'd like to acquire a QS or Savor, but it doesn't want to play.  Its only cards for which I prequal are the 'credit-builder' cards and, with respect, I've already bloody well established my creditworthiness. I've toyed with the idea of opening a bank account there and setting up direct deposit, just to see if I can spark anything.

Oh, and Citi won't budge above $8K for my DC.  That's not a bad  limit, but it's only slightly over half of my average.  (I don't expect anything from CitizensBank, 'cause I've since moved out of their sphere of influence and closed my accounts (bank, mortgage & HELOC).

@

I acquired (the predecessor of) the Citi card about 10 years ago.  The initial CL then (IIRC) was $7k.  They bumped it up to 8.something a few years back, but I reduced it to 8 even because I only do thousand-dollar increments.  (That's just the kind of guy I am.)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 52 of 63
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Though Synchrony is believed to be easy to get that isnt always the case. Sometimes they actually do look at more than your score. And some cards are just plain hard to cli. In my experience my Pep Boys card is like trying to move heaven and earth while chained to a recliner. Who woulda thunkSmiley Wink

AJC, you know that Marvel MC is now in my wishlist. May I ask, how long of a history should one have to qualify for this card. It's actually one of the two cards that is on my wishlist. It is either the Marvel or the Amazon Prime Visa since I am a prime member. But Marvel's 3% on dining and entertainment fits my type of spend. So I was leaning on applying for it this December. But worried that I might get denied.

Clark, my understanding of Marvel is you have better approval chances when your TU is at least 690. Your scores are fantastic and I believe you could get both should you choose to apply. When I had gotten my Chase card I only got $1500 sl but I believe I was over 700. I think I was around 692-695 with Marvel. You'll get them for sure if not today tomorrowSmiley Wink

Message 53 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Clark, my understanding of Marvel is you have better approval chances when your TU is at least 690. Your scores are fantastic and I believe you could get both should you choose to apply. When I had gotten my Chase card I only got $1500 sl but I believe I was over 700. I think I was around 692-695 with Marvel. You'll get them for sure if not today tomorrowSmiley Wink

Thanks for the data AJC, there's not a lot of threads with data here on the forum, or I just have not looked enough. I did want to apply for this card closer to the holidays since my spending would definitely increase around that time, but do you think my young profile would be a hindrance? I sure did not think that about Barclays, so I don't want to get my hopes up after that denial when my TU was at it's highest 763. A few positives though are happening with my profile in TU in the next quarter, since I have a total of 5 inquiries out of 7 falling off, three of them actually were from Synchrony, when I was careless and clueless in applying with no knowledge of what my overall profile was like back then. 

Message 54 of 63
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I recently applied for and was denied B of A Business Cash Rewards after receiving a mailer back sometime in March of this year. $200 SUB for $500 spend in 2 mos. Just received the denial letter a few days ago (there's a thread detailing the denial more in the Business Credit section). The funny thing is I applied for a CLI on my B of A CR personal card a few days after the Needs Further Review message I got with the business card app--and received a $10K CLI. BTW--This is one of the very few CC denials I've received (the business CC) during my almost 5 years old rebuild.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 55 of 63
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I vaguely remember a MF with a 300$ Chase card... yes.. 300$.. and it wasn't secured.... Ditto for a unsecured discover I think was around the same amount.... this was pre-discover really getting into a secured offering.. and it was a reconned denial... 

Yeah but a 500$ CL at Amazon.. Not very useful.. id blow through that in.. one shopping session? if even that much?

=)

-J

Message 56 of 63
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@adkins

What is an address fraud flag?

i have several addresses of family members on my report, if I dispute them will I get flagged? 

How dod that happen?

Message 57 of 63
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@clark_d_shark

Can I ask how old your accounts and credit were when you got approved for Amex...are they new credit friendly ?

Message 58 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bees18 wrote:

@Anonymous

Can I ask how old your accounts and credit were when you got approved for Amex...are they new credit friendly ?

Good morning Bees18, I got approved for AMEX when my Oldest account and my overall age of credit history was at 6 mos. Had only one card reporting at that time which was a secured Cap1 card. So if you are new to credit, I think they are very accomodating to young and thin files.

Message 59 of 63
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

@clark_d_shark

Well that's great to know, I plan on trying for Navy or Amex after the 6 month mark.

Was your file completely clean...I have one aged baddie left that's paid and closed from over 5 years ago:/ and one medical that I just paid and they said they would delete.

I also have the secured card now though (cap 1) with a low limit and am worried and being stuck in a low limit bucket with other lenders. Do they start you off with a decent CL if you have a decent score and good income?

ive been trying to read past posts about Amex but most people have an older file then me so it's difficult to compare. Did they pull Eq?

sorry for all the questions!

Message 60 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.