Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Amex PRG Recon!

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Denied Amex PRG Recon!

@buildingcreditfromnothing wrote:

To answer everybody's questions: The lates are from 2007 and 2008. Yes, both loans were paid in full far before the term ended. The Honda Loan I paid off immediately after I found out he wasn't current with payments (original loan was for $25000 and I paid $14000 in cash after he went delinquent four times). I have tried numerous times with GW letters and all failed. They refuse to delete late payments, or the entire account altogether. The other loan is also paid in full within the 6 months it was opened. I have gotten a few cards after having no credit:

BOA Secured:$300

Macy's: $400

Shell: $300

Capital One: $300

Discover It: $2500

Possibly US Bank Platinum

I think I would have a better chance of getting an Amex if my accounts age a bit before reapplying. What do you guys suggest?

The next set of GW's try this:

Although I was not the borrower when I found out about the lates I paid the loans off myself so that the loan would be satisfied.

Now it's hurting me as a responsible borrower even tho I fully made sure your loan was taken care of as any responsible co-signer would do.

All I ask is the account be deleted or lates removed from my CR's as a good faith gesture as I kept my good faith with you regarding the loan......blah blah 

You get the idea I'm sure Smiley Wink

EDIT spelling Oooops Smiley Embarassed

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 17
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

To answer everybody's questions: The lates are from 2007 and 2008. Yes, both loans were paid in full far before the term ended. The Honda Loan I paid off immediately after I found out he wasn't current with payments (original loan was for $25000 and I paid $14000 in cash after he went delinquent four times). I have tried numerous times with GW letters and all failed. They refuse to delete late payments, or the entire account altogether. The other loan was also paid in full within the 6 months it was opened. I have gotten a few cards after having no credit for most of my life (other than a BOA account from 1993 that I closed):

I think I would have a better chance of getting an Amex if my accounts age a bit before reapplying. What do you guys suggest?

Wow a lot of people on here would say a discover it is harder to get then an amex charge. But yes let the accounts you have age. The more you pay on time and the further you are away from the lates the better off you will be. Also, I would try to get your CL up. I think all those low limits could scare amex away. Your other 4 cards only reach half of your limit for the discover card. Good luck the amex prg is pretty overrated unless you buy a lot of plane tickets. However, that being said, I still want one just to say I have one lol. 175  fee a year is a lot of money to get back in rewards. Think about it thats 6k in plane tickets just to get your money back.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 12 of 17

@myjourney wrote:

To answer everybody's questions: The lates are from 2007 and 2008. Yes, both loans were paid in full far before the term ended. The Honda Loan I paid off immediately after I found out he wasn't current with payments (original loan was for $25000 and I paid $14000 in cash after he went delinquent four times). I have tried numerous times with GW letters and all failed. They refuse to delete late payments, or the entire account altogether. The other loan is also paid in full within the 6 months it was opened. I have gotten a few cards after having no credit:

The next set of GW's try this:

Although I was not the borrower when I found out about the lates I paid the loans off myself so that the loan would be satisfied.

Now it's hurting me as a responsible borrower even tho I fully made sure your loan was taken care of as any responsible co-signer would do.

All I ask is the account be deleted or lates removed from my CR's as a good faith gesture as I kept my good faith with you regarding the loan......blah blah 

You get the idea I'm sure Smiley Wink

EDIT spelling Oooops Smiley Embarassed

Thats such a great GW letter! I am so going to try that! Thank you!!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17

@bigblue7722 wrote:

To answer everybody's questions: The lates are from 2007 and 2008. Yes, both loans were paid in full far before the term ended. The Honda Loan I paid off immediately after I found out he wasn't current with payments (original loan was for $25000 and I paid $14000 in cash after he went delinquent four times). I have tried numerous times with GW letters and all failed. They refuse to delete late payments, or the entire account altogether. The other loan was also paid in full within the 6 months it was opened. I have gotten a few cards after having no credit for most of my life (other than a BOA account from 1993 that I closed):

Wow a lot of people on here would say a discover it is harder to get then an amex charge. But yes let the accounts you have age. The more you pay on time and the further you are away from the lates the better off you will be. Also, I would try to get your CL up. I think all those low limits could scare amex away. Your other 4 cards only reach half of your limit for the discover card. Good luck the amex prg is pretty overrated unless you buy a lot of plane tickets. However, that being said, I still want one just to say I have one lol. 175  fee a year is a lot of money to get back in rewards. Think about it thats 6k in plane tickets just to get your money back.

I know, right! I thought the Discover Card would be hard to get, but they counted my AU accounts into their decision, which I'm sure helped. The AU accounts are:

Citi- $5000

Nordstrom: $500

Walmart: $5000

A few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Message 14 of 17
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

I know, right! I thought the Discover Card would be hard to get, but they counted my AU accounts into their decision, which I'm sure helped. The AU accounts are:

Citi- $5000

Nordstrom: $500

Walmart: $5000

A few others I can't think of off the top of my head.

hmm thats interesting. I did see somewhere that amex cares more about how much money you make when it comes to the charge cards. I am not sure how true it is. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 15 of 17
maksimfa
Contributor

Easier way into Amex, be an AU on amex first. =)

Are those FICO scores or FAKO scores?

Seems like a thin bad file.  I was initially approved for amex with about the same, albeit a few more lates, however high income and existing amex history.

Give it time.  

I would go for Barclays Rewards Mastercard, maybe another cap 1, get those going, use them for 6 months, get auto CLI, then go for amex.

Message 16 of 17

They're FICO scores. My income is fairly high, and I think you're right about the 6 month thing. Once my accounts have all reported and I've gotten CLIs, I'll reapply. I was initially declined for the Barclay Rewards MC because nothing had reported yet. I'll try again soon. Thanks again Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.