Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Barclays Frontier World MasterCard - Approved for Platinum

tag
qerat

Denied Barclays Frontier World MasterCard - Approved for Platinum

Hi everyone,

I wanted to take advantage of Frontier 40k credit card sign up bonus, so I applied. Unfortunately, I was only instantly approved for the Platinum version, which is only a paltry 10k bonus. I plan on calling the reconsideration line tomorrow morning when they open to see if they would approve me for the World Mastercard version instead. The limit I was approved was for 3.8k. My understanding is that World Mastercard is 5k minimum limit. This is my first card with Barclays, but I have an extensive history with chase with 3 cards of 5k limit.

What are my chances of getting approved for the World Mastercard on the reconsideration line? Does Barclays typically do this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Denied Barclays Frontier World MasterCard - Approved for Platinum

Welcome to the forum. You can certainly try the recon line but its my understanding that even if they bump up the CLI you will still get the Plat.
Message 2 of 16
qerat

Ugh that's lame. Maybe I'll get lucky when I call them tomorrow - I'll post back. Thanks!

Message 3 of 16
navyox
Regular Contributor

I used to think that $5k was the minimum for a World MC also but this past spring I took the bait on an Expedia booking and applied for the Citi card.   I was approved for $4k and to my surprise, when the card arrived, it was a World MC.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 4 of 16
bmwatts0386
Established Member

hey navyox,

i recently got a new bmw and was looking at the bmw credit card. since you have it, what are your thoughts on it? thanks!

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum. You can certainly try the recon line but its my understanding that even if they bump up the CLI you will still get the Plat.

+1

Barclays is just one of those banks that has very quirky criteria for higher-tier elegibility.  If your scores and overall profile did not meet the criteria for WMC or Visa Signature, then a Platinum it is.  Once a card is assigned as a Platinum, it stays as a Platinum.  Conversely, if you get a WMC/Visa Signature, it cannot be downgraded.  You can receive multiple CLIs throughout the life of the card but will stay in that level.  Some folks are known to carry both of the same products in both Platinum and WMC or Platinum and Visa Signature.  You may get lucky with the CLI, but not with the card version, unfortunately...YEMV.

Message 6 of 16
navyox
Regular Contributor

@bmwatts0386 wrote:

hey navyox,

i recently got a new bmw and was looking at the bmw credit card. since you have it, what are your thoughts on it? thanks!

Good: Decent APR (14.24%), no fee, 3 points per $ at BMW centers, like how it looks.    

Bad: 1 point per $ everywhere else, stingy with CLIs (I'm 0-2).   

Verdict: It stays in my sock drawer unless I'm headed to the dealership for repairs.    

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 7 of 16
bmwatts0386
Established Member

ok cool, thanks

Amex Centurion
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Apple Card
Message 8 of 16
qerat

Just coming back to report that they indeed would not upgrade me to WMC version. Oh well, at least I can just keep this card around AF free, and then maybe apply for the WMC down the line.

Message 9 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry about the upgrade but it is a nice cc.

Congrats on your approval.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.