Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied CC from Capital One with a FICO over 800

tag
kimg727
Established Member

Denied CC from Capital One with a FICO over 800

A friend of mine was telling me about Capital One's non participation in universal default (they even state this on their website).  Considering most creditors look for reasons to join that campaign, Capital One's stance is a breath of fresh air.

Finding that commendable and looking to replace my primary CC, I decided to apply for the Capital One prestige credit card last night. 

In 30 seconds, they denied me credit.

I immediately pulled my credit - nothing derogatory.  Two inquires (Capital One now being one of them) in the last two years.  FICO still at 820. 

Have any of you even heard of this??

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied CC from Capital One with a FICO over 800

I would definitely call for a recon.
Message 2 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

You know, I don't even want the card now.

So even if they review my credit and send it to me, I will send it back.

Just ticks me off I took a hard inquiry over it!! Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 33
score_building
Senior Contributor

actually you probably took 3 (cap1 pulls all 3 for most initial apps.)  unless you changed your mind for whatever reason, i just wouldn't let my distaste for a questionable auto decline prevent me from recon. after getting hit for 3 inqs. but that's just me.  does seem really weird though to have happened to you at cap1.

@kimg727 wrote:

You know, I don't even want the card now.

So even if they review my credit and send it to me, I will send it back.

Just ticks me off I took a hard inquiry over it!! Smiley Mad

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

With scores and credit like yours, I'd be looking at Discover, especially; also Chase, Citi, Bank of America.

Is that 820 your Equifax FICO? Do you know what the other two FICO scores are? And be advised, Cap1 generally pulls all three credit bureaus for an app, so you might now have one app on each. Smiley Mad

In general, it's a good idea to have three good credit cards, just for situations like this. You might want to read the FICO High Achievers thread linked in my siggy. It paints the typical credit profile of consumers with high FICO scores.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 33
iamrayl
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 33
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

By any chance did you recently move or free one of your credit bureau reports? Those are actually 2 common things that causes an instant denial.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 7 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
With scores and credit like yours, I'd be looking at Discover, especially; also Chase, Citi, Bank of America.

Is that 820 your Equifax FICO? Do you know what the other two FICO scores are? And be advised, Cap1 generally pulls all three credit bureaus for an app, so you might now have one app on each. Smiley Mad

In general, it's a good idea to have three good credit cards, just for situations like this. You might want to read the FICO High Achievers thread linked in my siggy. It paints the typical credit profile of consumers with high FICO scores.

I already have Discover (which I hate) and Chase.  I have a good mix of credit cards and installment lines of credit. I only keep a balance on one credit card, which is a 0% interest card. 

The 820 is Equifax.  Transunion and Experian are also over 800 (two months ago they were anyway).

Capital One did pull Equifax because right after I was declined, I immediately pulled my credit and saw the hard inquiry.  Fortunately, it did not affect my FICO (I check Equifax every month).

If they pull Transunion and Experian, that is OK because as of two months ago, I had no inquires on either.

This is really perplexing me because I have never been denied credit.  However, with the credit crunch, etc., it's clear these days are not like the olden ones.  

The more I think about it, I may be denied simply because I have a lot of credit available to me (most cards have a 25K limit).  I have not cancelled any of those cards simply because I've had them for over 15 years and don't want to hurt my FICO by closing them.

I'll check that link out.  

Message 8 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@iamrayl wrote:

I apped for a Cap One card a couple months ago.  Got the "thanks but we are unable to approve your app at this time message' and I should receive something in the mail in 7-10 days.

That's the message I got.  

After reading some of these threads about Capital One, I'm thinking I don't want the card now, even if they send it.  I wish I read these threads before last night.

Message 9 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@Chopbrocoli wrote:
By any chance did you recently move or free one of your credit bureau reports? Those are actually 2 common things that causes an instant denial.

No, none of my credit bureaus are frozen nor did I move.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.