Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied CC from Capital One with a FICO over 800

tag
kimg727
Established Member

Re: Denied CC from Capital One with a FICO over 800

I work for one of the nations largest financial institutions but won't use their account I've had for years (as much as I like the card) because big brother constantly monitors employee accounts and they are treated different from the average Joe.  So I keep the balance at zero and never use it.

I am simply looking for a card to replace my credit union one. 

The major credit cards I have are:  Eastern Financial (one I use all the time, looking to replace), Discover, Chase, Citi, American Express and State Farm.

The one I prefer to use, in place of my credit union card, I won't, for reasons stated above.

Message 11 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

kimg727 wrote:

After reading some of these threads about Capital One, I'm thinking I don't want the card now, even if they send it.  I wish I read these threads before last night.

In fact, there is the elusive "good" Cap1 card, and we've had members here in the past who've loved it. I'm pretty mystified that you didn't receive that one, unless as the other poster said, it's just that automatic delay message.

Unless they've changed, Cap1 has been favored by international travelers for the low (0%?) rate they charge on foreign funds transactions (my brain refuses to come up with the correct name for it.)

At any rate, since you have multiple cards (I didn't realize that initially), it's really no big loss.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@kimg727 wrote:

After reading some of these threads about Capital One, I'm thinking I don't want the card now, even if they send it.  I wish I read these threads before last night.

In fact, there is the elusive "good" Cap1 card, and we've had members here in the past who've loved it. I'm pretty mystified that you didn't receive that one, unless as the other poster said, it's just that automatic delay message.

Unless they've changed, Cap1 has been favored by international travelers for the low (0%?) rate they charge on foreign funds transactions (my brain refuses to come up with the correct name for it.)

At any rate, since you have multiple cards (I didn't realize that initially), it's really no big loss.

Yes, that is the one I applied for; it's the Prestige something or another.  I did research on the web for it first and it's apparently their best card.

I'm just as perplexed as you, but the available credit to me, may be a contributing factor. It's the only thing I can think of!! But it is certainly not affecting my FICO.  

Yes, I have multiple cards, but I really don't use any of them.  I won't cancel them though so my FICO isn't hit (I've had the cards for many, many years).   Like we talked about, I'm simply looking to replace that credit union card.

Message 13 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

Oh and on a side note, the other card I was told is good is Wells Fargo. I went on their website to look into the card and when you go to get information, they are not accepting new credit card applications, unless you have an account with them already! So, times are definitely changing!!

This may just be meant to be...me sucking it up and keeping the credit union card! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 33
score_building
Senior Contributor

@kimg727 wrote:

ftr, the threads you read are almost certainly referring to their lower tier cards.  their card for excellent credit receives routinely good reviews and apparently offers a higher level of service and rewards than their other cards. .

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 15 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@score_building wrote:

@kimg727 wrote:

ftr, the threads you read are almost certainly referring to their lower tier cards.  their card for excellent credit receives routinely good reviews and apparently offers a higher level of service and rewards than their other cards. .

Oh I didn't realize that.  Thanks for the information. 

Message 16 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Is that 820 your Equifax FICO? Do you know what the other two FICO scores are? And be advised, Cap1 generally pulls all three credit bureaus for an app, so you might now have one app on each. Smiley Mad

You got me thinking; I just pulled my Transunion and Experian credit report and scores. They are less than Equifax (FICO 820).

Transunion = FICO is 784

Experian = FICO is 795

And you are right...Capital One pulled an inquiry for each credit report, which is OK because that is the only inquiry I have on both.

Message 17 of 33
iamrayl
Regular Contributor

kimg727,

Those are excellent scores by any standards.  It just seems as if you are taking the fact that you were not instantly approved personal.  You are right there are lots of negative posts about Cap One but they are also negative posts about Amex, Citi, BOA etc.  There are also good posts about the CCCs.  The fact remains they cannot please every customer all of the time.  So it's up to you to follow up to find out if you actually got the card and then decide if it suits your needs or you let the 3 hard inqs go to waste. 

Message 18 of 33
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@kimg727 wrote:

Oh and on a side note, the other card I was told is good is Wells Fargo. I went on their website to look into the card and when you go to get information, they are not accepting new credit card applications, unless you have an account with them already! So, times are definitely changing!!

This may just be meant to be...me sucking it up and keeping the credit union card! Smiley Happy

I have not heard good things about Wells Fargo. The Cap One card that you applied for is most definitely a prime card. If you get a denial in the mail I would recon. Just make sure they don't pull hard again. 

Message 19 of 33
kimg727
Established Member

@iamrayl wrote:

kimg727,

Those are excellent scores by any standards.  It just seems as if you are taking the fact that you were not instantly approved personal.  You are right there are lots of negative posts about Cap One but they are also negative posts about Amex, Citi, BOA etc.  There are also good posts about the CCCs.  The fact remains they cannot please every customer all of the time.  So it's up to you to follow up to find out if you actually got the card and then decide if it suits your needs or you let the 3 hard inqs go to waste. 

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not really taking it personal because I know it's computer generated via a score card (my employer does the same), but I'm more perplexed.

Oh well, we'll see what happens!

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.