Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Capital One Cash Rewards $0 Annual Fee Need Some Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied Capital One Cash Rewards $0 Annual Fee Need Some Advice

I will update you guys as things progress!

So far I haven't done any new applications, I've been busy with other things and just researching the cards I'm interested in and taking your advice into account. I don't really have $200 + to put into a secured card ( I can if I have to but I would rather not) so I'm kind of shying away from that option at the moment.

The cards I'm the most interested in are the ones I mentioned on the first page, so I'm still kind of trying to figure out which would be the best to go for at the moment ( I only want to do one app right now).

Also I'm a she Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I feel I've done as much research as I can (or would like to do)

And it boils down to the:

Discover IT for Students

and Capital One Journey 

I only want to apply for one right now, so which do you guys think I should go with? I don't do too much online shopping when I do it it's from Amazon and online clothing stores. Most of my purchases are at drugstores or grocery stores or miscellaneous activities / events that are relatively rare (i.e. concert tickets, going to the spa, out to eat every now and them, movie theaters etc). I don't really need rewards as I don't really forsee myself spending more in order to get said rewards, but I would like to earn spending how I normally do. 

So which would you recommend. Or if you would recommend one of the others listed on the first page (BOFA student rewards card or Citi) actually not citi I've kind of ruled that one out.

Let me know! I want to put in my app online today! I just trying to do one right now and figure out the out come of that before I do another.

Message 22 of 25
supersam101
Contributor

You can try for the discover student it card but you might get declined. So I vote secured card from Bank of America for 6 months then apply for the discover it student card. When your Bank of America card graduates to unsecured. You can get the annual fee removed.
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 23 of 25
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I feel I've done as much research as I can (or would like to do)

And it boils down to the:

Discover IT for Students

and Capital One Journey 

I only want to apply for one right now, so which do you guys think I should go with? I don't do too much online shopping when I do it it's from Amazon and online clothing stores. Most of my purchases are at drugstores or grocery stores or miscellaneous activities / events that are relatively rare (i.e. concert tickets, going to the spa, out to eat every now and them, movie theaters etc). I don't really need rewards as I don't really forsee myself spending more in order to get said rewards, but I would like to earn spending how I normally do. 

So which would you recommend. Or if you would recommend one of the others listed on the first page (BOFA student rewards card or Citi) actually not citi I've kind of ruled that one out.

Let me know! I want to put in my app online today! I just trying to do one right now and figure out the out come of that before I do another.

The Capital One Journey is simply the easiest student card to get. My brother received it before anything ever reported...the only issue many people have with it is that Capital One doesn't grow with you, unless they "review their CLI policies" real soon...

Not sure how Discover It for Students will go, my brother had a preselected mailing for Open Road Student and already had the Journey for 7 months...but I don't think it's even a student card anymore? Discover doesn't list "student" in his card description.

So best of luck! Smiley Happy I would apply for Journey first, then maybe try your luck with Discover if you're feeling gutsy Smiley Tongue I highly recommend going student before going secured. I made the mistake of going secured first before looking at student cards and now i'm stuck with $1500 in an HSBC account with Orchard and who knows what the hell will happen to the deposit with the changeover to Cap One...i'm secretly hoping they unsecure and PC it so I get my deposit back Smiley Tongue

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! I'll start the app now! I was leaning towards the journey. The Discover Open Road card is still an option as a student card - https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/get-discover/open-road-card/ .

Like you said if cap one goes well I'll probably try for discover later on, and if not just try for discover next! Unless the Open Road is better than maybe I'll do that first. I'll just take another look. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.