Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Capital One Secured

tag
charmcity
New Contributor

Denied Capital One Secured

I applied on June 30th and was not instantly approved. I received something in the mail a week later requesting to verify identity and address. I sent the documents in as well as faxed them in. I called about two weeks later and they said I was denied. I got the reason in the mail yesterday and it was because they were unable to verify my information.

Does Capital One recon? Should I call them? If I was denied because of score, I can accept that. But this kind of irritates me.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied Capital One Secured

They are stupid. I applied a few days ago for the Venture card. I called to see why I was denied.

They said

I have to many Mortgage accounts (I have none and one paid off 6 years ago)

I have to many installment loans ( have two car notes both over 2 years old)

My Fico is 767.

I tired to talk them but all they would repeat is check with the credit reporting companies bla bla. I explained I see my report monthly and she still repeat the same line. 

Message 2 of 11
smc733
Valued Contributor

Look in the phone number thread stickied in this subforum.  A recon may very well work, as it is default that if they can't verify info, they'll deny, but you should be able to recon that without another hard pull.

And to the other poster, it seems like that is a common excuse they like to use now, to "check with the credit bureaus", because they know most people won't bother, when I dealt with that last, I shocked them when I said I had a copy of my report sitting right in front of me.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 11
blazerein
Established Contributor

What type of documents you provided cap one?  I was also declined with the same comments "could not verify" only because I faxed a cable/telephone bill. I called back and faxed my DL., waited for a week and got approved.

AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 4 of 11
tobey
Contributor

Definitely call them. Something's up. If you sent in the correct documents, there should have been no problem. Did they even acknowledge receiving the documents you sent?

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
charmcity
New Contributor

I spoke to a gentleman yesterday and basically what he said was that the system was showing they received my documents, but they were received the same day my decline letter was sent out. He told me the only thing I could do was reapply. I told him the same thing was likely to happen again, and he said I'd need to furnish the documents again because it was a completely separate application. So I applied again and got the same message so I'm sure I'm going to get the need more info letter.

I tried to pull my EQ report from the annual credit report site and was unable to. The problem is that my legal name has a suffix (II) but for some reason EQ told me that I need to put the number (2) behind my last name on applications in order for the information to match up. But there are no applications that allow me to do this, I get an error message every time. So I think every time I apply for something I am going to get some kind of "need to verify identity" message.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's BS! I got denied for a Target card due to not being able to verify my identity. I called, they told me to fax some documents, I did, and was approved. This was all after my denial letter. They did not have to pull my credit again. So basically, since Cap1 pulls from all 3, you got a total of 6 hard inquiries for a secured card?! WTH!! I would have asked to speak with someone else!

Message 7 of 11
tobey
Contributor

Yeah, I'm not buying that. Every bank I've dealt with keeps your application open for 30 days if they need more info from you.

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
charmcity
New Contributor

So here's an update on the application process from hell:

Called today and they verified that my faxed documents were received. However, there is a notation in the system that the driver's license was illegible and would have to be resent. Even though I only had to send in one proof of address and one proof of social security number. So I sent in a recent paycheck with my address (on the list of acceptable documents), a copy of my driver's license and a copy of the social security card. SO I sent in THREE pieces of evidence yet I need to wait longer because one of them was illegible?

I spoke to another senior account manager who was extremely unhelpful and told me there was nothing he could do.

I am about to lose it.

Message 9 of 11
charmcity
New Contributor

So after being denied a second time for the Capital One Secured card due to them not being able to verify my identity despite several mailings and faxes with all the necessary information, I decided to write a recon letter and attach all the necessary documents and my two denial letters.

Finally, after two months, I got a letter in the mail yesterday with my approval.

Although it was a huge pain I am glad that it worked out.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.