Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Discover Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Discover Card

I called backdoor recon number and the lady said it was because of past delinquent accounts. She said I had a late in 2007, or that's how it appears on my credit report. I haven't had any lates in over 4 years and the account she mentioned is closed and the last late was from 2003!

I'm calling again.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied Discover Card

Well, that's no good.  Sorry to hear that.

Does your report show a late in 2007 even if you didn't actually have one?

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently Experian shows my 2003 loan charge off as a charge off in 2007, so that doesn't help and I don't know how to fix that.

Also, I paid a 2001 collection in 2007 (before I found MyFICO). It's ONLY reporting on Experian. The bill was due in November 2001 yet the fall off date is showing as June 2009. I may go ahead and dispute this with Experian as I tried sending a letter to AFNI and all they sent me back was a "this account is paid" letter.

And last but not least, they don't like my ex-husband's student loan account. The last late payment (a total of 8 lates) was in 2004 but he didn't pay the account off until late last year.

I'm a little down but I will try again once I get some of this cleared up. I only have 3 inquiries on each of my reports, so I haven't really lost anything just for trying.

Thoughts are appreciated.

ETA: I just dug deeper - The charged off loan is showing two lates around November 2007 when this was charged-off in 2003.

Message Edited by Shnapple on 10-22-2008 07:02 AM
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding the collection, the reporting dates are correct.  The allowed reporting period extends 7.5 years from DOFD, regardless of whether it is paid, so if DOFD was November 2001, then the account can report until June 2009 (actually May 2009, but that's splitting hairs).

A CO can also report until 7.5 years from the DOFD that led to the CO.  Unfortunately, there is nothing preventing a CO from updating and showing a late status several years after CO.  Even though the account was charged off in 2003, the status of the account in November 2007 was "charge off," and there is nothing stopping them from reporting that status at that time, which makes Discover (and other creditors) read it as being more recent than it actually is.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cheddar. I agree and thought that the accounts were updated recently but in reality, the loan is showing late payments 4+ years after the last payment. There were no late payments in November 2007 and the bank said to dispute them because they show no record of that.

I am going to dispute the collection as well because they're still updating it so it couldn't hurt more than it already is, and I honestly believe it should be off by now - and apparently EQ and TU agree with me.

As far as the student loan - I'm just going to GW the heck out of them. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 22
Bella1980
Established Contributor

Wow, I'm sorry and very suprised!

I would try calling again and explain eveything to them!!

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll get the collection removed, the charge off loan updated, and then maybe try again with Discover in a few months. I wanted to apply before my mortgage hit because I wasn't sure what that was going to do to my scores. Guess I'll wait til that hits and then wait until the best possible moment - then attack again!

Next time Discover won't slip through my fingers!

Message 7 of 22
elsijfdl
Contributor

I agree, try a recon with them via phone, I was able to get a Discover More card after an initial denial.

They do intense double-checking of application data, so if anything doesn't line up they usually deny automatically (for me it was an inconsistent address), but if you call and explain they are able to reverse it.

Message 8 of 22
elsijfdl
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll get the collection removed, the charge off loan updated, and then maybe try again with Discover in a few months.

Next time Discover won't slip through my fingers!

Not a bad idea, but also, trying a recon won't hurt you. For me, they used the same inquiry, and you might save yourself time + a headache.

FYI I had to call three different times before I spoke with a person who knew what the problem was and was able to reverse the decision.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elsijfdl wrote:

I agree, try a recon with them via phone, I was able to get a Discover More card after an initial denial.

I called twice - it's definitely not happening and they were very nice and patient. I asked when I could apply again and they said any time really.

A Discover card will be mine, oh yes... it will be mine.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.