cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied credit at a CU with a 807 FICO score?

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Denied credit at a CU with a 807 FICO score?

@Oppenheimer wrote:

im going to try to open a regular checking account and then wait 6 months and try again to apply for the 6.25% APR credit card.

They did a hard pull via the transunion database on me. Will they do another hard pull if i apply for a checking account?

has anyone here ever spoken to a manager at this Lake Michigan Credit Union?? Did it help over-ride the decision?

Did you look at SDFCU ?  (sorry I am not a member and cannot comment on experience)

https://www.sdfcu.org/CreditCards

Message 21 of 51
Oppenheimer

Thanks, I will look into that one. I wasn't aware of that one. that is still a pretty nice APR.  I guess i might apply for that one if Lake michagin doesn't work out.

Message 22 of 51
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Good luck either way Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 51
Oppenheimer

Thanks. I spoke to someone over there. and from what she told me. it sounds like i have (I think, im not sure) is that i have a "Thin File"  so im having to read up on how to fix a "Thin File" problem.

Message 24 of 51
Oppenheimer

So i spoke with a lady over at the credit union and she said my credit score is 771 from transunion..... but how can that be?? i check my FICO score using transunion on myfico.com and it says 807..... why the mismatch?

Message 25 of 51
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Oppenheimer wrote:

So i spoke with a lady over at the credit union and she said my credit score is 771 from transunion..... but how can that be?? i check my FICO score using transunion on myfico.com and it says 807..... why the mismatch?

There are 49 different scoring Fico models out there...could be TU 08, 98 CC enhanced 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 26 of 51
Oppenheimer

I learned something new today!

I feel like a total noob at this credit stuff.

Do you have any idea why i would get rejected from getting that credit card with a low 6.25% APR?   (The lady suggested that i get a loan and pay it back to improve my odds). From the clues that ive gathered it seems like im suffering from a problem with a "Thin File" but im not really sure if its that.  Im still learning what a "Thin File" is.

but it would seem weird that she suggested i take out a loan and pay it back.... wouldn't my request for a loan ALSO get rejected?  or maybe i should take out a small loan in the amount of $3,000 dollars and pay it back?   i just REALLY REALLY want that credit card with a 6.25% APR.  because i hate paying intrest when/if i do carry a balance. i feel like im stuck in a catch 22 situation.

Message 27 of 51
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm still not clear on how you get past the residency requirement.

A thin file means simply a credit report that has less than or equal to three trade lines.

Message 28 of 51
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I'll eat my own words, but from their eligibility link, to become a member:

1)  I live, work, worship, or attend post-secondary school in a county in the state of Michigan's lower peninsula
2)  I am an immediate family member of a current Lake Michigan Credit Union Member
3)  I will donate to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association of Michigan. 

Back when I joined them, ALS donation was not an option.  oppenheimer, to apply for a card with LMCU, I do know you have to be a member first.  Did you just app for a card, or did you join by donating to ALS?

These folks are very conservative (think Penfed).

Message 29 of 51
Oppenheimer

I'm doing option #3

I'm donating to ALS.

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.