Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Bill me Later but approved for Amazon Visa Card

tag
toytoy
Regular Contributor

Denied for Bill me Later but approved for Amazon Visa Card

Called me confused. So I have been released from CA and my doctor wanted me to fly direct so I had to cancel ticket and buy a new one. On website and it says buy ticket with Bill Me Later so I apply and it says sorry can't be approved at this time. I received e notification but it wont let me open on reason for denial and it tells me to expect it in mail.

Fast forward to now: buying vitamins on Amazon and it is offering a $30 gift card if you get approve. So I said why not. I am waiting for denial screen and I get 

Amazon.com Rewards Visa® Card from Chase
Visa Card Image
Congratulations My name You have been approved for the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card with a temporary credit limit of $3,000.00.
Colored me surprised. Wait is this is a Chase Card? So does that mean I won't get the nice increases that the store card provides. Darn it.
Oh also the Old Navy Visa Card that I was approved for a few weeks ago was for $2000 and not $1000 as it originally listed. 

Starting Score: EQ 603~TU 613
Current Score: EQ 763~TU 706
Goal Score: 810

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Denied for Bill me Later but approved for Amazon Visa Card

BML is a bit strange. They can deny you if they're unable to verify something with your identity; which doesn't mean you're really denied. You should be able to call and have them look up your info. If it's just a matter of verifying, you'll be approved. The good and bad: they don't report to the CRBs. So, you don't get a CL to help w/util; but you also don't get the ding of a new acct on your AAoA. Nor does it negatively affect your util when you have a balance.

IME, it's best used w/eBay because they have really good financing offers @ 0% for 6 mos.

You've already gotten the ding for the inq, so I'd go ahead and call if I were you.

Congrats on the Amazon. I believe that you have to choose *which* Amazon card you want. They are separate apps. But the Chase card is nice and you got a good CL. The only benefit IMO w/the GE Amazon card is the financing, which only applies if you're making a big purchase. Otherwise, I actually think you're better off with the Chase card. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 11
logan_720
Established Contributor

Special financing with Amazon using the store card, issued by GECRB starts at any order $149 and above, so you don't have to spend a lot. And its pretty simplw to put a $150 order together.

Message 3 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

Special financing with Amazon using the store card, issued by GECRB starts at any order $149 and above, so you don't have to spend a lot. And its pretty simplw to put a $150 order together.

Yep, and the 24 month for larger purchases is very nice as well.

Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@toytoy wrote:

Called me confused. So I have been released from CA and my doctor wanted me to fly direct so I had to cancel ticket and buy a new one. On website and it says buy ticket with Bill Me Later so I apply and it says sorry can't be approved at this time. I received e notification but it wont let me open on reason for denial and it tells me to expect it in mail.

Fast forward to now: buying vitamins on Amazon and it is offering a $30 gift card if you get approve. So I said why not. I am waiting for denial screen and I get 

Amazon.com Rewards Visa® Card from Chase
Visa Card Image
Congratulations My name You have been approved for the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card with a temporary credit limit of $3,000.00.
Colored me surprised. Wait is this is a Chase Card? So does that mean I won't get the nice increases that the store card provides. Darn it.
Oh also the Old Navy Visa Card that I was approved for a few weeks ago was for $2000 and not $1000 as it originally listed. 

Congrats on the Chase approval!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
toytoy
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

BML is a bit strange. They can deny you if they're unable to verify something with your identity; which doesn't mean you're really denied. You should be able to call and have them look up your info. If it's just a matter of verifying, you'll be approved. The good and bad: they don't report to the CRBs. So, you don't get a CL to help w/util; but you also don't get the ding of a new acct on your AAoA. Nor does it negatively affect your util when you have a balance.

@IME, it's best used w/eBay because they have really good financing offers @ 0% for 6 mos.

You've already gotten the ding for the inq, so I'd go ahead and call if I were you.

Congrats on the Amazon. I believe that you have to choose *which* Amazon card you want. They are separate apps. But the Chase card is nice and you got a good CL. The only benefit IMO w/the GE Amazon card is the financing, which only applies if you're making a big purchase. Otherwise, I actually think you're better off with the Chase card. Smiley Happy

So I called BML bc I still could not open email. He told me that I probably have entered some incorrect information on my app and to app again. After I got off phone with him I pulled the email up in IE (which I do not use) and finally was able to open. It said 

We regret that we are unable to approve you for the service at this time for the following reasons:

Your information was incomplete or inaccurate or the circumstances may have suggested that the purchase was not made by you.

So I pull up all my Credit Reports and not one pull so I didn't try again. I will keep an eye out but I think I escaped.

Yeah it didn't give me option for store or Chase Card. It only had the Chase Card but after I poked around after being approved I saw I could apply for store card but I will just leave it be.

Thanks BichonMom. 

Message 6 of 11
toytoy
Regular Contributor

Thanks sooooooo much. I am in supposed to be in Garden Mode. 

Message 7 of 11
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Toytoy;

After seeing your scores I would have been shocked if the denial had been anything other than what you found out.   Bichonmom was right on target with that. Great example of these forums having so many people with great answers.

And really, isn't the card you ended up with really a lot better. That is a great starting CL with that card from what I remember reading.

Major Congrats!!  Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@toytoy wrote:

Thanks sooooooo much. I am in supposed to be in Garden Mode. 

Smiley Surprised

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RyVision wrote:

Toytoy;

After seeing your scores I would have been shocked if the denial had been anything other than what you found out.   Bichonmom was right on target with that. Great example of these forums having so many people with great answers.

And really, isn't the card you ended up with really a lot better. That is a great starting CL with that card from what I remember reading.

Major Congrats!!  Smiley Happy

+1 to what I highlighted.

And I also agree with your scores, I would have been shocked if you were denied the BML account for that reason.

Congratulations on your new Chase Card, very nice initial CL as well.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.