cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for a card that's well within my reach...What gives!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for a card that's well within my reach...What gives!!!

I was denied for this same card, thinking it would be an "easier to get" Visa Signature (which I wanted for the dining and entertainment benefits). What was pretty baffling was that I saw FIA pulled my EX score, which was 749 even after their inquiry. Personal income is low (40K) but HHI high (300K).

I called and asked for a recon at which point they said I had too much credit available. FIA Card Services IMO is one of the more conservative banks in granting new credit. I've had great success with Citi, Chase and American Express.

How old is your Citibank card? They would probably give you a CLI or product change if you've had a good history with them. Although you might want to watch out for the World MC, which they like to offer people with good histories because World MCs have higher interchange rates, but there are reporting issues associated with the World card.

If you're looking for a Visa Signature product specifically, Chase Freedom approves its customers for that pretty easily (I got changed over to a Chase Freedom Visa Signature from a student card and they didn't even ask for my income or any other information, just call different reps until you get an answer you want, I hear Chase has to be dealt with that way).
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit scores is used by credit issuers as a reference, not only because your score is high they will approve you there is many other factor in their decision.
Message 12 of 14
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Yeah, it's sort of a crapshoot. Right now on my Citibank Dividend Platinum Select gives 5% back on gas, groceries, drugstores and convenience stores for 3 more months and 2% back on everything else. After 3 months, I will get 2% on everything for 9 more months. Then, after that, I'll be getting 2% back at on gas, groceries, drugstores and conveniences stores with 1% on everything else.

It's a really good card, I'd just rather have the Fidelity card as my main rewards card for once the good rewards on this card run out. Fidelity's 1.5% back on everything with free deposits for cash back rewards into a brokerage account vs. 1% on everything with 2% on a couple of things for Citibank. I'll take the Fidelity.

I think I'll just wait until sometime next year before I reapply.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may also want to look into Chase Freedom - easier to get and 3% back in your top categories of spending. If you used the 2 together you could wind up with near 2% total returns.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.