cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for an AMEX BCE! Need help!

tag
miamiestatebuyer

Denied for an AMEX BCE! Need help!

So I went on a app spree last week and instantly scored 1st with a CSP with a starting CL of $9.2K then I went for a AMEX BCE and was denied which annoyed me because I have been a Business Platinum and Gold PR member since 2000. Since both are better cards than a BCE I thought it was in the bag for sure after completing my objective with CSP. After I went for the Discover IT and was instantly approved for a disappointing $1K. I called AMEX after and asked to have my app reviewed because I found it so strange for my app to be declined with 2 better cards with them already, never late on a payment in my life, and a current credit score of 725 with Experian and a credit to debt ratio of 18%. I tried to get an AMEX Plum card about 3 months ago and was denied because at the time I foolishly applied I had some high balances on my Citi AA card and balances with both retail cards that was a bit high as well. Was denied there and I was told my score was a 688! When the review was done this time for the BCE i was horrified to hear that my score was still a 688 and that they denied me on those grounds with a high debt to credit ratio! I now realize that AMEX is still using the credit report from a few months ago and not a fresh new one with my higher score and low debt %. What can I do now since I have already asked for it to be reviewed and was denied and was already told that a final decision was made after the review? I feel a little cheated because my suspicion was confirmed when my Discover card came and the intro letter had my fico experian score of 725 there! Also I have no inquiries from Amex since the one that was done 3 months ago. Any help would be appreciated!
Current Fico Ex Score: 725

Credit / Charge Cards: AMEX Business Platinum (NPSL) MS '00 | AMEX Gold PR (NPSL) MS '00 | Citi AAdvantage $10K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9.2K | Discover IT $5K | Capital One Platinum $1000

Retail Cards: West Elm $2500 | Victoria Secret Forever $1400 | BP Gas Fleet $1000
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Denied for an AMEX BCE! Need help!

Amex uses their own internal scoring...plus Amex SP when u already have a acc with them.. So basically it means that their last sp was when you have a balance...if you are approves it becomes a HP

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 2 of 15
miamiestatebuyer

I apologize for my ignorance but what does SP and HP mean? What do you suggest I do?

Credit / Charge Cards: AMEX Business Platinum (NPSL) MS '00 | AMEX Gold PR (NPSL) MS '00 | Citi AAdvantage $10K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9.2K | Discover IT $5K | Capital One Platinum $1000

Retail Cards: West Elm $2500 | Victoria Secret Forever $1400 | BP Gas Fleet $1000
Message 3 of 15
miamiestatebuyer

I see now. Soft pull and hard pull. If they would have done a sp my score still would have been higher than that and also its still the same score from the months ago when I applied for the plum card. Should I call and question them if they pulled a new report or just used that last one they did 3 months ago? By the way my last Amex app for the plum card was a hard pull and denied.

Message 4 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Call them again tell them they are using a outdated CR + scores they will tell you to fax them a new one...be aware it may result in another HP....just the amex way 

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 15
miamiestatebuyer

Thank you Journey. I think that is what I will do tomorrow morning. I was just worried that I couldn't with a review already done and was denied.

Message 6 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@miamiestatebuyer wrote:
Thank you Journey. I think that is what I will do tomorrow morning. I was just worried that I couldn't with a review already done and was denied.

For some reason and don't ask me why Amex tends to use old CR's ....it's Amex what can I say Lol

Good luck and let us know the resultsSmiley Happy

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 15
swpopham
Established Contributor

I posted about this a few months back. Welcome to my world. Exact same situation as you. They are denying me based off a credit report from I guess march.... ive tried for a bcp every 30 days for the last year. Just to see when they are going to hard pull me.. good luck. ive reconed all the way up the chain already

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 8 of 15
miamiestatebuyer

That's amazing swpopham! Hope that doesn't happen to me. I will let you know tomorrow what happens but that doesn't sound good.

Message 9 of 15
swpopham
Established Contributor

good deal, stay positive, Ive racked up 26k on my prg just to raise a flag, ill pay it off on friday when the bill is due. Then they should have no reason to deny me again! but it has been established here that i like to screw with amex and I think they are playing in return!

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.