Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derogatory marks with high credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Derogatory marks with high credit score

If someone has a credit score in the 750s or higher, a really good credit score, are you still likely to be turned down by lenders if you have derogatory marks from things that are unrelated to credit? For example, I was denied a credit card from a lender a few months back because of the derogatory marks on my credit report from student loans over 5 years ago. But I didn't think much of it because my credit score is still in the low 600s. So my question is: even after building my credit back up, which I'm in the process of doing, and I get my score up way high, will lenders be still likely to deny me funding because of the derogatory marks from my student loans (assuming they'll still be on there of course)? Or will the high credit score kind of off-set those marks? Thank you.

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Derogatory marks with high credit score

Depends on the lender, but of course you can be turned down with a 750 score with derogatory marks. Of course the likelihood of having a 750 with derogatory marks that are serious enough to be turned down is pretty slim in the first place.
Message 2 of 59
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I could be wrong but I don't think it's possible to get your credit above 750 with derogatory marks. Though I suppose anything is possible.  I mean if it's near falling off I guess you could have high 700s with derogatory marks.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 3 of 59
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Depends on the lender, but of course you can be turned down with a 750 score with derogatory marks. Of course the likelihood of having a 750 with derogatory marks that are serious enough to be turned down is pretty slim in the first place.

You beat me too it. Exactly! It's unlikely that you would have high 700s with derogatory marks.

Message 4 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's say it were 720 --- ?

Message 5 of 59
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's say it were 720 --- ?

Yes you could still be rejected. 

Message 6 of 59
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Like CreditGuy said, truth is you never really know. I can say from experience once you get above 750 the likelyhood of being outright rejected is low but you can still run into problems. It's the strangest thing, you'll see people who are 750 getting a starting limit of $2k on an AMEX and someone with a 650 getting $8,000. That's why people always say your mileage may vary. 

Message 7 of 59
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Like CreditGuy said, truth is you never really know. I can say from experience once you get above 750 the likelyhood of being outright rejected is low but you can still run into problems. It's the strangest thing, you'll see people who are 750 getting a starting limit of $2k on an AMEX and someone with a 650 getting $8,000. That's why people always say your mileage may vary. 

This is very very true. It's all part of the credit paradox. The real question I suppose is what card are you looking at? Some data points on the particular card may help more than just a generalized question since each lender has their own approval quirks and rules. 

Message 8 of 59
awp317
Frequent Contributor

I have a 30 day late payment from Diners club from last December and im still in the 780s. I was at 848 prior to the late though so I guess it just depends on how high up you are that how far you fall matters less when you get the baddie. Nobody has mentioned it to me in any of the new shopping I have done, and thats cars, mortgage, and credit cards. Never came up. It shows up as a "reason for your score" on all the fico sites though. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 9 of 59
ramblinggirl
Regular Contributor

I was in a panic mode 2 yrs ago when my credit score dropped from 800's to 730's due to a credit card bill that was 60 days late. I had a credit card that I had not used in a yr and decided to use it so the bank would not cancel it.  I use to have auto payment on the account but apparently dropped it when I had a zero balance. So my credit score fell and I was so mad at myself.  However over time my score came back up to the mid to high 700's and I have not been turned down for the 3 cards that I applied for-2 chase and an Amex. Now I dont know if a derogatory student loan is looked at differently-I have heard folks say "dont  ever let your student loan go bad"  

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.