Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devastated over Capital One :-(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Devastated over Capital One :-(

Delaney, that is exactly what happened to me. Once it processed, there was no changing it. 

Message 11 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry this happened to you OP.
This is part of the reason so many on here stress the importance of diversifying lenders. Stuff happens, it's always good to have accts to fall back on.

Thank you OpenG. I'm just feeling so down but I will start over again. Hopefully with a secured card just so I can have a higher limit. . 

Message 12 of 64
delaney1
Established Contributor

Are you going to call the EO?  Im so sorry this happened to you OP.

Message 13 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

In this case I would see if the Cap One EO can do anything (a much better example than asking for a CLI!).   Especially as the payment was not late at the time it bounced.

But be aware the having a payment returned is always a red flag for all issuers, regardless of history (all defaults/charge offs start off with the first one) so it may not be possible to override.  But worth a chance.

Thank you. The CSR who went through all my 3 accounts felt so bad and suggested the same thing. Hopefully they won't flag it as all my accounts have 0 balance now since I paid them in full. When the check bounce and the balance showed on my acct, I paid it on the same day. 

Message 14 of 64
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Can I apply for Navy Fed membership even if I don't have any affiliation?

re: depositing $. I could have easily done it from a personal account. Spark is business and is tied to my Chase which is business only. I don't deposit $ into the Chase account unless it's business related since I would then need to justify it when filing taxes. I have several personal accounts but just 1 business. 😕

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/bd-p/Retirement?cm_sp=mobile-_-menu-_-community

Go to the finance section. There are several threads about joining Navy fed through a donation.

Message 15 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

My medical bills are from 2012 and I've been paying it down but it looks like the collection agency reported it again so now the date showing is 2016. 

@Gmood1 wrote:

Dang! You need a financial institution that allows YOU to deposit money from your phone. Folks think I'm crazy for having 10 plus banking relationships..this is one of the reason's why.

How old are the medical bills? Medical bills don't hold much weight with certain lenders. Navy Federal in my experience is one such lender that looks pass that.

I'd try for a non secured card with them first. And then and only then would I go the secure route. If you've been clean the last year or so. I'd say you have a good shot. 

Message 16 of 64
delaney1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that info. I wish I had known that. Live and learn I guess. 

It's a lot harder to diversify when you have blemishes on your report though. Right now I only have Capital one(qs and venture) and chase freedom. Tried to get a citi Costco and was denied for derogatory info. I would be pretty upset if my Cap One cards were shut down, because my Freedom limit is small. So, now I just wait for the derogs to drop off, so I can "diversify". 2018 can't come quickly enough! I completely understand why you pretty much had all your eggs in one basket. Take care, OP.

Message 17 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also think reaching out to the EO would be worthwhile here (front line CSRs are absolutely useless and so are their "supervisors" for anything beyond the simple). I know bounced payments are the touch of death with any issuer, but given the circumstances, this was clearly an honest mistake: paying much more than the min, paying well before the due date, and calling CS within hours of realizing the error. Good luck.

Message 18 of 64
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Don't let that hold you back. My GF has quite a few medical bill charge off's. No lie ..at least ten! 

Navy Fed approved her for her first non secured card less than 2 months ago. Her TU score was a 604. SL was $17,300 with a 9.9% APR. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. Lol

Message 19 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I also think reaching out to the EO would be worthwhile here (front line CSRs are absolutely useless and so are their "supervisors" for anything beyond the simple). I know bounced payments are the touch of death with any issuer, but given the circumstances, this was clearly an honest mistake: paying much more than the min, paying well before the due date, and calling CS within hours of realizing the error. Good luck.

I'm going to give it a shot. I understand them cancelling my cards if I were a serial "bouncer" who only paid minimum but I put through $5000+ through all those accounts every month and always paid it in full (numerous times a month). 

CSR gave me an address. Is there a number I can call? I'm even willing to take less CL if they re-open my account. 

Message 20 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.