Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devastated over Capital One :-(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Devastated over Capital One :-(

That's nuts, because I screwed CapOne over and got a new card from them while they were still banging my report with an updated charge-off every month. They gave me two cards during that period, one secured and a regular platinum. I have a hard time believing they're locking you out for good over a bounced payment. 

Can you get a Merrick? It's not the best, but I like it a lot for a sub-prime card. The "double your line" ones are good, but you may need an invitation. 

This isn't half as bad as having, say, a new collection. All hope is not lost, it will not follow you for seven years. It's a pretty stupid setback, so I'd talk to the CSRs as much as you can, but don't feel bad. Everyone makes mistakes.

EDIT:

I read again your post and the replies. Forget Merrick. My scores are the same as yours, and I have some baddies in the 4-6 year old range. I have a Delta Gold and a Citi DC card at those scores, not high limits, but definitely comparable to what you just lost. Both those cards came from online pre-approvals, so check those out. It's not 100% as these cards generally want higher scores, but it's not impossible and won't hurt you to try the pre-approval tools.

Message 31 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's nuts, because I screwed CapOne over and got a new card from them while they were still banging my report with an updated charge-off every month. They gave me two cards during that period, one secured and a regular platinum. I have a hard time believing they're locking you out for good over a bounced payment. 

Can you get a Merrick? It's not the best, but I like it a lot for a sub-prime card. The "double your line" ones are good, but you may need an invitation. 

This isn't half as bad as having, say, a new collection. All hope is not lost, it will not follow you for seven years. It's a pretty stupid setback, so I'd talk to the CSRs as much as you can, but don't feel bad. Everyone makes mistakes.

EDIT:

I read again your post and the replies. Forget Merrick. My scores are the same as yours, and I have some baddies in the 4-6 year old range. I have a Delta Gold and a Citi DC card at those scores, not high limits, but definitely comparable to what you just lost. Both those cards came from online pre-approvals, so check those out. It's not 100% as these cards generally want higher scores, but it's not impossible and won't hurt you to try the pre-approval tools.

Thanks Truthy! I can't believe when CSR told me I'm basically banned from getting another card from Cap One. Did you do the online prequal for Delta Gold and Citi? I have a ton of inquiries due to a car purchased in July of this year. Barclay denied me due to those inquiries. 

Message 32 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Op, sorry this happened to you! Honest mistakes can happen to any of us. Now is the time to take action. 

1. Find the EO email and plead your case!! Let's try to get at least one of those accounts reopened! All would be best if possible. 

2. Join NFCU asap! There is a thread on this forum with a mountain of testimonies of rebuilders with SL that are 5k - 10k. 

I know your devastated.....but shake it off and get busy! You can come out of this BETTER than you went in! 

Good luck and keep us posted! 

I just tried NFCU and it required navy affiliation. Is there a way to get around this? 

Message 33 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You probably wont lose your buypower card, so just DO NOT say anything to them about it. The  GM card is a completely seperate division of capital one, hence why it is not logged into using capitalone.com. Technically C1 and another company own the GM card so it's not exclusively their card. I had all of my Capital One accounts canceled as well (for screaming cursing at someone from the executive office) over not posting my paper check for 19 days and making my account be reported 30 days late. They canceled a $5,000 credit line, a $10,000 venture and a $1500 platinum I've had forever. Good riddance they are a terrible company.

OMG, and here I am crying over my measly $4k credit line with them. My BuyPower is paid up so I will wait a few weeks to see if that stays open. I sure hope so although right now I feel such disdain at Cap One for treating me like a criminal. Even with the bounced check, my re-payment was still 6 days earlier than the due date. Makes me want to call and cuss them out as well. Might make me feel better. Hahahaha

Message 34 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Cap 1 EO E-mail Contact Info

If you have medical collections that you have NOT yet worked out a payment plan for and their CA is reporting on your CR

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Welcome to the board OP. Cap-1 is pretty easy to work with, good luck on getting it resolved thru the EO.

Many thanks for the helpful advice. I will do that. Hopefully EO will re-instate but I heard that once an acct is closed, they can never re-open. 

Message 35 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

Op, sorry this happened to you! Honest mistakes can happen to any of us. Now is the time to take action. 

1. Find the EO email and plead your case!! Let's try to get at least one of those accounts reopened! All would be best if possible. 

2. Join NFCU asap! There is a thread on this forum with a mountain of testimonies of rebuilders with SL that are 5k - 10k. 

I know your devastated.....but shake it off and get busy! You can come out of this BETTER than you went in! 

I just tried NFCU and it required navy affiliation. Is there a way to get around this? 

YES!!!!!

There is a huge thread here on the forums with directions etc. 

Also gdale gave you the link to Cap 1 EO. 

Message 36 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:
What a rough situation, very sorry to hear about this happening. I know you've worked hard to get to this point and it's got to feel like a major setback now. Well, as others suggested the EO is the best and only route to get this resolved. While they may not restore your accounts, I hope they at least lift the blacklist on you.

The ironic thing is you had a returned payment but truly intended to pay yet cap one shuts you down and shuts you out, now had you burned them for thousands of dollars in a BK you'd be more than likely welcomed back and treated with less disdain. One thing to take away from this experience is to not believe anything a frontline CSR says, they are very misinformed and hand out misinformation in some cases.

As others have suggested, take a look at NFCU, your scores are decent enough for a great card with a great SL and you can join with no military affiliation. Another idea is what you suggested and that is go for a BofA secured card, it's an excellent card. You've made a mistake and it cost you and it feels like crap, but don't let it get you down, it's just one lender and this may end up with a far happier ending in the long run, there's silver linings on thise dark credit clouds, work on the EO and applying for navy and keep us updated. Best of luck to you.

Thanks Creditguy! It's funny that even after I re-submitted my payment and it cleared and 0 out my balance, I was still a few days away from my actual due date. I wasn't even later. I will try for the B of A secured card. Can I assign an authorized user for a secured card and how do they report to the CRB?

Message 37 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

YES!!!!!

I'll def be working on this! Many thanks. 

Message 38 of 64
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Justagirl73 wrote:

YES!!!!!

I'll def be working on this! Many thanks. 

Yes, search for Navy Leauge San Diego, I believe it's like $25 to join and that would entitle you to NFCU membership, there's tons of info floating around here on it. You will not regret joining NFCU. 

Message 39 of 64
baller4life
Super Contributor

Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.