Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devastated over Capital One :-(

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Devastated over Capital One :-(

I totally understand your concern OP given what you have gone thru with Cap One. And I am sorry you were frightened by a new visitor that wasn't aware of the legitimacy of this method into NFCU. But, I assure you as long as you follow the instructions step by step you won't have any issues.
Message 51 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Baller. After what happened with Cap One, I'm so scared to do something that would get me in trouble. Glad to hear this. I just received the welcome email from the SD chapter, I assume I wait until I get a membership #? I will re-read that thread again detailing instructions to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. 

Don't be scared, hockey03. baller4 knows what she's talking about and you are among friends here.

Most of us also belong to NFCU and MANY myfico members have confirmed directly with Navy Federal that this is a legitimate membership method. Please do not be afraid. I myself couldn't be happier with NFCU! Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 64
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You probably wont lose your buypower card, so just DO NOT say anything to them about it. The  GM card is a completely seperate division of capital one, hence why it is not logged into using capitalone.com. Technically C1 and another company own the GM card so it's not exclusively their card. I had all of my Capital One accounts canceled as well (for screaming cursing at someone from the executive office) over not posting my paper check for 19 days and making my account be reported 30 days late. They canceled a $5,000 credit line, a $10,000 venture and a $1500 platinum I've had forever. Good riddance they are a terrible company.

I want to hear more about this story lol

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 53 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you Baller. After what happened with Cap One, I'm so scared to do something that would get me in trouble. Glad to hear this. I just received the welcome email from the SD chapter, I assume I wait until I get a membership #? I will re-read that thread again detailing instructions to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. 

Don't be scared, hockey03. baller4 knows what she's talking about and you are among friends here.

Most of us also belong to NFCU and MANY myfico members have confirmed directly with Navy Federal that this is a legitimate membership method. Please do not be afraid. I myself couldn't be happier with NFCU! Smiley Happy

Thanks Humu and Baller for your words of encouragement. My credit scores are fairly low (630-635) when I checked today. I don't know if Cap One closing my acct will further damage my score. I'm hoping to apply for a CC with NFCU when my score improves. I do have a couple of baddies I'm working on and both are medical bills. Other than that, I have been paying all my cards/auto loan religiously and on time. For now, I'm stuck with 2 Credit one cards ( 0 balance), Verve and my BuyPower card. I'm so sad I'm back to these predatory cards again. :-(

Message 54 of 64
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

As much as it pains you now OP, it will get better as you are human and made a simple mistake. Half the battle is knowing that one must treat ones credit with utmost respect and you seem to know this as you are always making on time payment and such, and are very worried about your accounts which means YOU careSmiley Happy. Lessons will be learned and you WILL get better cards . Just imagine your happiness when you get some Navy luv. I myself am about to embark on the Navy journey as i too await my membership papers from Navy League!!Smiley Happy

If they dont reinstate your accounts , continue to use your orher ccs as normal until you can pick up a third one. I dont care if you have a Amex platinum or a Kredit Karma One cc, if it swipes i me likesSmiley Happy ( i know i must be losing it , firsy a Mcdonalds cc now a CK one too lol Smiley Wink ) . But point is even though not sll cards are created equal, at the end of the day, one gets us to the next level and surely enough, you will have your day in the sun, as will i haha!. Ok, end pep talk, best of luck, thanks for sharing your story Smiley Happy AVJ
Message 55 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
As much as it pains you now OP, it will get better as you are human and made a simple mistake. Half the battle is knowing that one must treat ones credit with utmost respect and you seem to know this as you are always making on time payment and such, and are very worried about your accounts which means YOU careSmiley Happy. Lessons will be learned and you WILL get better cards . Just imagine your happiness when you get some Navy luv. I myself am about to embark on the Navy journey as i too await my membership papers from Navy League!!Smiley Happy

If they dont reinstate your accounts , continue to use your orher ccs as normal until you can pick up a third one. I dont care if you have a Amex platinum or a Kredit Karma One cc, if it swipes i me likesSmiley Happy ( i know i must be losing it , firsy a Mcdonalds cc now a CK one too lol Smiley Wink ) . But point is even though not sll cards are created equal, at the end of the day, one gets us to the next level and surely enough, you will have your day in the sun, as will i haha!. Ok, end pep talk, best of luck, thanks for sharing your story Smiley Happy AVJ

Thanks AVJ! Your pep talk made me smile! One day at a time.... HopeNavy gives me a little bit of love soon. :-D

Message 56 of 64
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

Thank you very much for the handy info on joining NFCU.

OP: Don't let this mistake pull you down.  Get a hold of EO any way you can, come Monday, and hopefully they will be kind to you.  It really seems like an honest mistake, and on top of that, you were trying to pay early!  Shutting down ALL of your accounts seem very harsh to me, not to mention that you have been very good at paying off the balances on the cards.

And I have you to thank for getting hold of the handy NFCU membership information, because had you not posted, I would have never known about it, probably. Smiley Happy

Please keep us all updated tomorrow.  We will have our fingers crossed for you.

Message 57 of 64
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I love how forum members on her come to the aid of a n affected member. I too have had fears of messing up with cap1. Also, nfcu is looking great and I will do the Navy Council and join too. The banks and cu I. St.Louis are very cold and very unforgiving with past issues.
Message 58 of 64
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

OP, this sucks.

Here's what I would do:  Write the CEO a letter.  An actual letter.  On paper.  

In that letter I would relate your story and also highlight any and all of the good history you have had with Cap One.  Include physical address, email, and phone number.

Then, I would FedEx the letter.  

Seriously, how often do you think the EO gets this approach?  You have likely distingushed yourself from 99% of anyone who contacts the CEO/EO.

Just my two cents and hope this all works out for you.  You won't find a better group of people on the Internet than the commenters on myFICO.  

Message 59 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum OP! There's lots of good advice in your thread. Best of luck to you!

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.