Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did AmEx balance terminology change?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did AmEx balance terminology change?

I logged into my app and see that there is a "standard balance" and a "total balance". I could have sworn the terminology was always "statement balance" and "current balance". What in the world? Is this another instance of the Mandela effect? 

6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Did AmEx balance terminology change?

I just looked at my app (iOS) and every one of my cards shows Total Balance and Statement Balance.  Do you have a "Plan-It" going on for the card; maybe that's a difference?

Hey, do you remember that movie where Sinbad played a genie?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I just looked at my app (iOS) and every one of my cards shows Total Balance and Statement Balance.  Do you have a "Plan-It" going on for the card; maybe that's a difference?

Hey, do you remember that movie where Sinbad played a genie?

Fruit Loops or Froot Loops? Smiley Happy

Okay I may have a lead here... I looked under my other AmEx cards (same login) and my Bonvoy shows Statement/Total, it is specifically my Amazon Business Prime that says Standard/Total. I have ruled out Plan It, as that does not appear to be an option for the ABP. The Bonvoy allows it but that's the one that's showing Statement (expected). 

The ABP is my first biz card, perhaps I am not acquainted with their terminology? If anyone can confirm this is a biz card this, please chime in. My first instinct was that I must have switched language to UK English when trying to check my app when half asleep! 

Message 3 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It may just be that particular card?  I just looked again and my Business Platinum Card says Total Balance (and then "Payment Due $0.00" with no mention of Statement/Standard Balance since I have no remaining statement balance).  Delta Business Platinum SkyMiles cards says Total Balance and Statement Balance.

Looking at the Amazon card, I am assuming Standard Balance probably has a companion Promotional Balance or something similarly worded like that, since the card allows you to choose 5% back or 90 days @ 0% for every purchase at Amazon, Amazon Business, AWS, or Whole Foods.  Do you currently have any 90-day 0% balances?  (My hunch is no.)  I think this has to be the case.

Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous my hunch was correct.

Transactions which you choose to receive 5% back on (including all purchases made by authorized users who do not get a choice), will be labeled as Standard Balance.  Transactions you choose to receive 0% APR for 90 days on will be labeled Payment Terms Balance.

https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/us/staticassets/pdf/cardmember-agreements/Amazon-Business-prime/amazon-business-prime-american-express-card-04-01-2020.pdf

Message 5 of 7
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Minimum Payment Due
The minimum payment is required to keep your account current. You may still incur interest on any unpaid portion of your Remaining Statement Balance (or Adjusted Balance if you are using Plan ItSM). 

Statement Balance
This amount is the New Balance showing on your most recent billing statement. This balance does not include any new payments, returned payments, credits or transactions made after the last closing date. No amounts under dispute have been deducted from this balance.    

Adjusted Balance
Adjusted Balance will pay your Total New Balance adjusted for future plan payments. Paying more than this amount will pay off planned transactions prematurely.

Total Balance
This amount is the full balance on your account adjusted for payments, returned payments, applicable credits and transactions since your last statement closing date. No amounts under dispute have been deducted from this balance. Activity in the last 24 hours may not be reflected.

Standard Balance 
Pay this amount to avoid interest charges on future purchases. Standard Balance means Total Balance, excluding the current Payment Terms Balance.

Pending Transactions
These may be pre-authorized amounts that are temporary and subject to change. The final amount will be reflected on your statement. To learn more, please log into americanexpress.com

source

Message 6 of 7
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I logged into my app and see that there is a "standard balance" and a "total balance". I could have sworn the terminology was always "statement balance" and "current balance". What in the world? Is this another instance of the Mandela effect? 

I saw that on my account not too long ago. Now it's back to statement balance and current balance. American Express keeps us on our toes. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.